How awful of a mother whould I be if...

I put child leashes on my 3 and 1 yr old daughters for our upcoming visit to the airport? It is just myself and my girls so I don't have an extra pair of hands or eyes to help me. My 3yr old gets distracted easily and it would be so easy for me to lose track of her or for her to get lost in a crowd. And my 1yr old, well, she's 1. She's curious and crazy. lol I will be flying from Atlanta to Phoenix. I am most concerned about Atlanta airport because you have to take the trains to get to your gate.

Would this make me an awful mother? Has anyone else used these child leashes?

mommacierra

Asked by mommacierra at 6:20 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• Been there, done that and felt all the more secure for doing so!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:21 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• It wouldn't make you an awful mother. Airports are tough, really tough, even without kids.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:22 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• why wuold you be an awful mother for keeping track of your kids?? I always thought those things were terrible UNTIL I HAD A BABY!!! My daughter is almost 3..I've never used one b/c she's my only one, but if we're by ourselves somewhere, Im holding her hand or putting her in the stroller...nothing wrong at ALL with it.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:23 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• You would not be an awful mother at all.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 6:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• No, that wouldnt make you an awful mother..that would make you a prepared one.
    Don't worry about what anyone else thinks...the safety of your kids is important...and thats all that matters.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Oh, and I used to use one for my high-needs/spirited child...he was a runner and would never stay in a cart or a stroller. A tether was the best way to get around in the big city and at big box stores ;)
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 6:27 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My only advice would be to use one that is a harness across the chest vs one that straps wraps around their wrist. good luck and have fun on your trip.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• You know your kids and know that they'd be that much safer if you leashed them. I dont think it's bad at all. I was really hesitant to put my crazy 2 year old on a leash and not only did he LOVE it, strangers commented on what a good idea that was! Do it and don't feel guilty:)
    lotof2

Answer by lotof2 at 6:40 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Nope that would not make you an awful mother. Who cares what people say or think. At least your kids wont get lost somewhere in the airport. Because guess what if you didnt have the child leashes and they got lost people will still have something to say about that. People are going to talk regardless but they only thing that we as parents need to be concerned about is the safety of our children.
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 6:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I don't think you'd be a horrible mother, but I also think there are a LOT more options than leashing a child like it's an animal.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:47 PM on Jun. 22, 2011