Update: that darn cat!!

Original question:
So, 3 mornings ago I woke up, went to put the dishes away, and smelled cat pee!!! So I tossed the dishes back in the sink, and smelled the towel to find out one of our cats peed on it!!! The litter box is clean, and both cats could get to it. Woke up yesterday morning to smell pee by the sink again!!! So last night I made sure all the dishes were put away and the towel was in the laundry room. This morning I went to get dhs work shoes out of the closet and the cat had peed in our coat closet!!! I have been assuming it was our newer cat Dorito that we have only had 2 months or so ( she is about 4) well, just a few minutes ago, I was in picking up the bathroom and our 1year old cat came in and peed on a towel I had tossed on the floor!!! I am baffled! She has been in our home almost a year, and we have never had this problem. The peeing has recently started, like 3-4 days... Is she trying to mark her territory?? Anything I can do to get her to stop peeing on random things?

Update:
So, took both cats to the vet. They are both healthy, not a thing wrong with either of them. We got s second litter box, and tried a "natural" litter. ( advice from the vet) Well, it's still peeing everywhere!! What do I do? I don't want to have to make them both outside cats, but I don't want my house smelling like cat pee either.

BabyBugsmama

Asked by BabyBugsmama at 6:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Pets

• is she fixed?? if not, that's why...my cat is almost 14 and started doing this recently...we use the crystals so it absorbs..if there is ANY moisture and I mean ANY on a towel, rug, etc...they will surely pee on it..if it's the same towel they've peed on before, they will pee on it again...even if you've washed it...I had to take the rug out of our laundry room b/c she kept peeing on it...I moved it to another room..now my dog lays on it and she leaves it alone...cats are kinda weird.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:28 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• by the way..my cat IS fixed..I think she's just a stubborn grumpy old cat.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• :(
    I had a cat that did that. The last straw for me was when she peed in the babies brand new carseat that I had sitting in the hallway waiting to take to the hospital with us to have the baby! I was so furious I couldnt even see straight,lol. I had no time to clean all that right then.
    Anyway...
    my solution...
    I gave her to my mother. LOL
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I'd get a comfort zone with feliway plug in to start with. That has happy kitty pheromones and can help with this issue. You might also talk to your vet about medications. I had one of my cats on prozac as a last resort and it made the difference.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:53 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• We had the same problem with a cat we adopted from the shelter. We built a catio (an outdoor enclosure) and problem solved. We built it up against a window in our den and he goes in and out as he pleases through the window. My vet also suggested amild dose of anti anxiety medication sometimes solves these types of problems, you may ask your vet about that option.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 10:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• talk to your vet about what they suggest
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 5:21 PM on Jun. 26, 2011