6yo Smearing poop

my neice is 6yo and she smears poop in the bathroom on the walls, toilet, sink etc. Why does she do this? Is this a phase?

ProudMammaMia

Asked by ProudMammaMia at 6:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes, make sure she is getting the one on one attention she needs from her parents. Lots of times kids go for the negative attention because they lack positive attention plus praise when they do things right.
    Anonymous

• Ask pediatrician or counselor. This could be a big problem at this age.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 6:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• ummm if that was my kid doing that he/she would get their butt busted. That is just not normal for a 6 yr old to do that...at all
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 6:34 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Yeah, I would bust my son's bottom as well for doing that at 6 yrs old. At 6, the kid knows better unless the child isn't mentally not 6 yrs old. Sounds kinda gross, but if she's already touching her poop and stuff anyways, why not make her clean it up ? Or at least some of it ? Maybe the punishment of cleaning it up will be enough for her to stop ? Good Luck, Hun.
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 6:52 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I think there is something going on with this child. There are reasons she is doing this at 6 years old. I have heard of younger children doing this but 6? Is she doing it because she is looking for attention that she isn't getting? Is she angry? There is more to this then just smearing poop in my opinion.
    zoomomto3

Answer by zoomomto3 at 6:53 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I agree with amber 110%. Nine times out of ten she wont do it again. These days doctors have a name for everything. ADD, ADHD, etc. They say all my kids have it. As their mother I know that my kids will do whatever they feel they can get away with. If you allow her to keep doing it trust me she will.
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 6:39 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My sister does spank her for it but I don't see it helping
    ProudMammaMia

Comment by ProudMammaMia (original poster) at 6:47 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I think she is dying for attention. She act like it
    ProudMammaMia

Comment by ProudMammaMia (original poster) at 6:58 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• She is nasty. Make sure she is the one to clean her own messes. She also needs a therapist.
    Anonymous

• Dang anon that's a bit harsh to says she's nasty. In mean I know what he's doing is but she's Aldo a 6yo little girl and obviously has something going on. I'm trying to see if anyone else has had this issue.
    ProudMammaMia

Comment by ProudMammaMia (original poster) at 9:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2011