Calling all atheists

i was curious what atheists do for the loss of a loved one? considering the deceased was atheist also. the funerals i have attended all included god in the ceremonies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm opting for a traditional wake instead of a funeral. Cremate me, put my urn on a table with some pictures. Drink, share stories, sing songs... Leave peacefully after having a mildly good time to remember me.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 7:33 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Kit took the words out of my mouth.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:51 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Attended one funeral where it was a nice religious free ceremony. Talked about the end of a life.

Attended another where because the wife was religious and the husband was dead - the funeral was for her and not him.
    Anonymous

• I've never been to a funeral. As far as I am aware there is no reason it would be any different than any other funeral minus the references to god. Just a simple reminder of the person lost and that they will be missed etc.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:55 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• As the Anon eluted to, death is harder on the living. If you have different belief systems it would be even more difficult. If myself, my husband or our adult child dies(the younger ones do not know what they believe yet) there will not be a religious ceremony, just a group of people coming together to remember and honor the deceased...probably in a park or favorite place. I sometimes wonder if death is harder on non-believers?? We don't believe we will ever see that loved one again.

ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 7:04 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My SO is an atheist and he said if I didn't believe in God (which I do a little, well to a certain extent that is) he would just cremate me (sry if I spelled it wrong) and not have a ceremony at all.  He also said for the relatives that believe in God (he was raised a full blown catholic) he would just do a ceremony the way they would have wanted it to be done. His beliefs wouldn't be taken into consideration at a moment like that.

loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 7:17 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I've heard this read at two different "atheist" funerals and I appreciate it..

The Dash

clarity333

Answer by clarity333 at 7:54 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Kit, that is exactly what we did for my dad's funeral.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:55 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I think the goal is to tell stories until you're crying with laughter and love, not only pain. Remember the good and forget the bad.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 8:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Honestly, it doesn't matter what the deceased person's beliefs were. It is all about what the person planning the funeral wants unless you have your funeral plans outlined in detail in your will!

If you don't want a religious service, make sure your wishes are in writing and notarized and with your will.

But do keep in mind that wakes, funerals, burial services, etc. are for the living. They are in no way for the deceased.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:45 AM on Jun. 23, 2011