"there's only one god, he's just worshipped differently throughout all the belief systems"

agree or disagree? do you believe everyone who believes in a diety actually worships the same god, he is just interpreted in different ways?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I think all paths lead to the same place. But we have to follow our own bliss to get there.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Disagree .... one God, one way TO God.

(Bring on the down votes)
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 7:22 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Agree, one G-d, many ways of forming a relationship with Him.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 7:52 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I pretty much agree, but I don't actually believe in any kind of supernatural, personal god or gods personally. I do believe that the feeling of 'God' that people have is probably an impersonal force of Nature that makes up everything in the Universe. I think it's all the same, but different individuals and cultures may see it in different ways. I see gods and goddesses as metaphors that are human attempts at understanding and relating to the 'divine'. I consider Nature and the Universe (or Omniverse) itself to be divine, so everything is 'divine' and part of 'God' in a sense--and everything is interconnected. My views are generally very inclusive and pluralistic, and I do believe that there are many paths & every individual has to find the right path for themselves. I believe living in loving-kindness and compassion is more important than particular beliefs.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I think this is a pretty good link about universal faiths, and the idea that "Truth is one, sages call It by different names".

Universal Teachings of Sri Ramakrishna
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:50 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Universalism is an attempt to be pluralistic and still claim victory rather than embrace the idea that more than one person might be right or wrong. Kind of like everyone gets a trophy. "

That's not ALWAYS the case. My beliefs fit in with Universalism and that is not WHY or how I believe what I do. It has ZERO to do with victory.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:09 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I agree that there is one God, I do feel it is the same God most people worship in different faiths, I can't say every faith because I'm sure there are some out there who worship a god that isn't who I worship because ours idea of who God is don't match. For the most part however I agree.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:01 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• "What's the point in even being here? "

Um, to learn and grow. to love each other and help each other. To make this world a beautiful place. Those kinds of things.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:37 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I personally believe we are all relating to the same Divine, and merely understand and relate to It in different ways, so you could say I agree.

Whether that Divine is One or Many, we can't truly know until we get there. My belief in One Universal God is merely my perception, the way I understand the Divine. I understand my perception is my own, and doesn't define Divinity, if that makes sense. Divinity is whatever It is, and I merely understand it through the idea of One God.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I agree that there is only one God.

It's not like an American Idol with a bunch of god hopefuls getting voted for by membership roles or something.

But I don't believe worshiping *anything* is worshiping God. Worshiping others is not a de facto worship of YHWH, it is in fact a rejection of Him.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 10:28 PM on Jun. 22, 2011