How do I get my 2 year old to stay out of the Bathroom?

I don't understand why he finds the bathroom so facinating but he constantly goes into the bathroom to spray smelly cologne, among other things, what do I do?

Additional info: I cannot close or lock the door because my ex (who sadly I currently live with along with my kids and SO) has a cat and insists on keeping its food and litter box in the bathroom so I have no choice but to keep it open unless I want to clean up cat crap... That is why I am having the issue, if I could just close the door I wouldn't be asking lol

nikkis23

Asked by nikkis23 at 6:51 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Shut the door.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 6:51 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Wish I could, but I live with someone else who insists on having the cats litter box and food in the bathroom so, I cant close or lock the door, and both my older kids can break down the gates!
    nikkis23

Comment by nikkis23 (original poster) at 6:55 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• well do the same thing i do with my 1 year old son close the door,u dont have to worry about it..
    synistermom

Answer by synistermom at 6:57 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I suggest getting a new roommate. One thats more kid friendly! There's gates that have little "doorways" that lock when shut ! Those are awesome for the older kids, so they don't climb over them and break them down! Maybe the cat will jump over the gate to get to the litterbox? I don't know cats, so that's just a guess. LOL sorry ! Umm.. maybe put your child in time out every time he goes into the bathroom ?? Or every time he does it - put him in a crib! He will def get the point then. Good Luck to ya, hun! I know that has to be frustrating!
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 7:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I have put him in time out, for some reason time outs dont work for my kids idk, and we do have one of the door gates that do lock and are hard to get open but my daughter must be a like Einstien because it took her all of 10 minutes to learn how to open it and she opens it for her brother too, there is not a child proof measure that my daughter hasn't figured out its really difficult
    nikkis23

Comment by nikkis23 (original poster) at 7:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Maybe a baby gate? A cat should easily be able to jump over it to get to food and the littler box.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I rubberband my cabnient doors together...my son can get into the childlocks but not the rubberband. Sadly there is no way to keep a wondering child from wondering. Good luck maybe he will get bored with that room soon.
    msmamakatie

Answer by msmamakatie at 10:39 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I hope so, problem is there is so many "cool" things in a bathroom, at least to a 2 year old.... Water and soap are his favorite.... You would think he would be cleaner during the day lol
    nikkis23

Comment by nikkis23 (original poster) at 10:43 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• A gate with vertical slats so that the cat can still get in.
    SlapItHigh

Answer by SlapItHigh at 11:12 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Maybe I should just get a cat flap for the bathroom door lol, might work.... wouldn't suprise me if my kids figured out how to get though it though, they are smart little turds lol
    nikkis23

Comment by nikkis23 (original poster) at 11:16 PM on Jun. 22, 2011