Why are we not seeing this on the news?

Are we having a nuclear crisis similar to the Fukushima facility in Japan? I have been reading about this all week on 'alternative news sites', such as Canadian Free Press, a British news site and a Russian site. Bet you haven't heard about it on any of our news stations. Last I heard from the foreign press is that we are at Level 4. Level 5 is the worst and is what they have in Japan.

Two United States nuclear power plants are on alert and President Obama has declared emergencies in Nebraska's counties where the two nuclear stations are both experiencing "unusual events." The official emergency declarations apply to both counties where the nuclear facilities are threatened with flood waters. Red Cross closed its emergency shelter at Fort Calhoun, home of one of the nuclear facilities, and is now referring and transitioning evacuees to other shelters. Red Cross is due to assess Fort Calhoun when conditions permit.
"Massive flooding along the Missouri River has put Nebraska's two nuclear plants, both near Omaha, on alert," reported Amy Goodman for The Guardian on Wednesday.

Obama declared an emergency in Nebraska and ordered federal aid to supplement state and local response efforts in the area affected by flooding. The Federal Emergency Management Agency is now authorized to coordinate disaster relief efforts and provide assistance in the counties included in the declaration.

Examiner.com Project Flood nuclear ’alert’: Obama, Red Cross declare emergencies - National Human Rights | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/human-rights-in-national/project-flood-nuclear-alert-obama-red-cross-declare-emergencies#ixzz1Q32PURAS

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 6:52 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I read that our sites were not safe but not that unsafe. Wow! They are really downplaying it where I red it. I think I read it on an AP news feed. I might be wrong, but it was either AP or NBC news feed.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 6:55 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Should say read.
    pookiekins34

• There's a LOT that the media isn't covering. I also read that the FAA has increased "no-fly zones" in American air space but no one knows why.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 7:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I heard about he floods and also that the power stations were not at risk. CNN I think.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 7:04 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Now we have to go outside of the U.S. for our news sources, pretty sad.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• ABC is reporting it.So are Newsday and Huffpo. AND CNN.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:08 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

But what are they reporting?
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 7:15 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• **grin** You hadda ask after I closed the pages! As I recall from earlier this week, the plants were at LOWEST level and I thought that was level 4. Just a sec. I'll check.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:17 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• ABC:

The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission is closely watching conditions along the Missouri River where floodwaters are rising at Cooper Nuclear Station and the Fort Calhoun nuclear power plant in Nebraska.

The Fort Calhoun plant was shut down on April 7 for a refueling outage, and operators decided not to restart it until flooding had subsided. The Cooper plant was shut down for an "unusual event" on June 19.

"Both plants have activated their flood response plans and taken appropriate steps to protect vital structures, systems and components from rising floodwaters and maintain their plants in a safe condition," NRC Region IV Administrator Elmo Collins said in a statement today.

Although the Fort Calhoun plant is surrounded by an eight foot tall and 16 foot wide protective berm, two feet of water have already made its way to several areas of the Fort Calhoun plant, but authorities say there is no immediate danger

Answer by gdiamante at 7:19 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I've been keeping up with what I can. Mostly just by pm'ing people via cm and fb that I know live in Nebraska and asking if they glow in the dark.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:19 PM on Jun. 22, 2011