Anyone exercising with chronic pain?

I was a dedicated runner up until about a year ago. I was dx'd with Rheumatoid Arthritis, got severely depressed, and gave up any attempt at staying fit. I miss running so much! I'm coming to terms with the "new me"and would like to do something to regain fitness at some level. Anyone with a similar experience?

Lexylex

Asked by Lexylex at 7:07 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• yes, i have psoriatic arthritis and just gave up for a while. but i found out that being sedentary actually made it so much worse. just try slow walking, maybe swimming. it is SO HARD to be trapped inside your own weak body when you were once very strong and athletic. i know. do your best not to over-do it (whatever activity you decide to try.)
    LunaB

Answer by LunaB at 7:22 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• yep.. I have nerve damage in my lower back and was on a crap load of meds for eight years that destroyed my desire to do much of anything.. i used to do gymnastics and was in great shape now i find it hard just to walk around the block... sucks..
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 7:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Yes, it does!
    Lexylex

Comment by Lexylex (original poster) at 7:18 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• try finding a great chiropractor. ask around!!!
    try swimming, it is easy on the joints.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:22 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Yes I have a herniated disk and lumbar strain in my back. Exercising regularly actually helps the pain for me. Also I dance on Xbox kinect when i don't feel like working out and it takes my mind off not wanting to be active that day.
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 7:39 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I'm back in the gym now (with a trainer) and I love it, but I don't "feel" it's enough. I really want to direct my attention towards a certain thing fitness-wise. I guess I haven't really accepted ALL of the limitations that comes with this thing after all. : /
    Lexylex

Comment by Lexylex (original poster) at 9:08 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Swimming is a great idea. Why did that not occur to me? Thanks everybody!
    Lexylex

Comment by Lexylex (original poster) at 9:09 PM on Jun. 22, 2011