At what age do you start making your kid clean up their messes?

I know some people that say they don't make their kids till they're older, and others that say if they are old enough to make the mess, they have to clean it up, with some help of course.

What do you guys do??

husky_grlie08

Asked by husky_grlie08 at 7:16 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• Once my kids were old enough to know they were making a mess - somewhere between 12 and 18 months. Obviously at that age they can't do it alone, but they can help!

Answer by missanc at 7:17 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• We started around age 2 with all of ours..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:18 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• If they're old enough to make the mess, then they are old enough to help clean it up. Even when mine were around 9-10 months old, I would get them to help me put their toys back in their toy box.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 7:18 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• When my children started walking, I made them clean up their toys and messes.
    ValMommy17

Answer by ValMommy17 at 7:21 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I have a 2 and 4 yr old daughters and they clean after themselves and I help out if they have made a HUGE mess other than that they made the mess they are old enough to clean up after themselves
    babycakeschris

Answer by babycakeschris at 7:22 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• This is an excellent question and it's a topic I often share my thoughts on because a lot of Moms seem to complain about how to make their kids pick up after themselves without giving much thought to the psychology of it.

See, while a young child, say 2 or 3 years old, is certainly physically capable of picking up his or her toys and putting things away nice and tidy, they DON'T have the prerequisite motivation to do so. Sure, you can spank them if they don't and they may learn to do it our of fear. But a better approach, in my opinon, is to explain to them that you want the floor all nice and tidy and could they help, and give them some motivation for doing it. Because a clean floor is ugly to a child. A messy floor, toys scattered everywhere, is SO much more appealing. It looks fun and interesting. You need to motivate the child to pick up or do it for them.

I usually do it for them.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 7:23 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• i plan on having him help me at about 2 or 3 just cuz that will get him in the mood "hey Adrian put your toys away for mommy" and thats when itll start :P
    HypoHeartBaby

Answer by HypoHeartBaby at 7:31 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• my son is 17 months and has been cleaning his mess for a couple of months, just helping pick up his toys and he knows to put rubbish in the bin
    proud-mummy

Answer by proud-mummy at 7:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• when they are old enough to make the mess, they are old enough to start helping to clean it up.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My youngest is 3 and his school requires them to clean up their mess as part of learning to be responsible for yourself. So I practice the same thing at home with him. Although I do go behind him and clean also.
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 7:49 PM on Jun. 22, 2011