Weaning?????

My son will be 10mths on the 29th I am still breastfeeding he does not take cup or bottle and he has been eating some baby food every now and than since 7mths today is the first day he finished a whole jar my question is when he turns 1 do I let him wean on his own or just start feeding him more baby food and start small amounts of table food not sure what to do

babycakeschris

Asked by babycakeschris at 7:28 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Always breastfeed first, but he can eat table foods now if he shows interest. Offer any soft, small, pieces. And when you are ready let him play with/explore a sippy cup. You can offer milk (at 12 months). Once he gets the hang of the cup you can start dropping one nursing at a time.  GL!

http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/solidfood8to10montholdbaby.htm

whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 7:39 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• that's up to you.. I'd definitely up his food by age one.. actually by 10 months if they have teeth they can start some table foods. by age one you should have him on 3 meals a day.. (obviously small and portioned for his age and of the right consistency.. you don't want to give them a large chunk of tough steak for example). typically what you' should be doing is let them eat, THEN offer the breastmilk..
    by age one, if you want you can introduce cows milk or water or juice (100%) with meals as well.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:57 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I agree with what whitepeppers said about letting him play/explore with a sippy cup. That is what i had to do with, my 4th son, who is now 14 monhts old. He wanted NOTHING to do with a bottle or a cup until i let him explore with a sippy cup. He still Breastfeeds about 5 times a day, but since he was 7 months old he has been drinkig water and other liquids out of a sippy cup. He would never drink breastmilk from a cup though. I always let my boys self-wean, but with my youngest it seems like it may be a little more difficult since he is showing no signs of wanting to quit nursing, but neither do i yet.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 8:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Haha...GL. I started weaning my DS at 10 months...and here we are still nursing twice a day at 13 months. Haha.
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 8:22 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• You started weaning with solids. And yes, you give more solids. If you want to push it faster, drop one feeding per week till gone.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:53 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Just follow baby's lead. He will gradually desire more solid food -- give him more in response. Humans need human milk for the first 2 to 7 years of life. if you have to wean before then, you will need to give some sort of substitute milk like cow breast milk. However, keep in mind -- cow breast milk is designed for baby cows and isn't perfectly compatible with the human child's digestive system nor does it have immunological factors that will protect your child from illness, like human milk does. You can keep nursing your child until they no longer need milk so you don't have to worry about finding an inferior subsitute.
    SlapItHigh

Answer by SlapItHigh at 11:10 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• It's up to you. You can begin weaning whenever you feel ready, or you can continue to nurse until baby stops. Until 12 mos, always nurse or feed formula BEFORE any solids. After that, solids become a bigger part of their diet, and nursing can happen as often or as infrequent as you want.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:10 AM on Jun. 26, 2011