My dog's twinkie is always out of the wrapper (if you know what i'm saying....) I think there's something wrong. adult content

I've had my dog a while and it seems like his "red rocket" is always out. And by this, I mean it NEVER retracts. It looks red, not pink. He doesn't seem too bothered by it. I would say he's just excited, but it's out even when he's sleeping. 24/7. Right now I can't afford a vet, but I'm considering getting him doggy insurance if I find out this is abnormal. He's a pretty smal 3.5lb pomeranian. SHOULD I be worried, or is this just unusual but normal? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Pets

• normal he needs a lady or doctor my old doc (pom pom too) had that and the doctor made him mate and he was gold for about 2 years lol
    HypoHeartBaby

Answer by HypoHeartBaby at 7:40 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• LOL. I've never had that issue with a boy-doggie. I think it's unusual, but not sure if it's something that requires a vet or just a "friend" for him!!
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 7:40 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Sounds funny, but sprinkle a little sugar on it so he'll lick it and lubricate it. It should retract. Is he very young? (under 2 years?) That is fairly common in young dogs.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Is he neutered? He will probably have to be. Sometimes the hormone surge causes this, an it is unhealthy. When this happens, neutering is the only answer. I've seen this before. Some dogs require further sugary to put it back in as well.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• http://www.vetinfo.com/excessive-dog-erection.html
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Ack surgery not sugary..

Don't wait, it can actually be serious.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:43 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• NOT SURGERY GAAAH NO CUTTING OF THE PENIS IN POOR PUPPY!
    HypoHeartBaby

Answer by HypoHeartBaby at 7:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Spare me. So letting it reproduce is the answer? That was a real educated answer. So is your last one as well. NOT! Male dogs who cannot retract ther erection are at risk for infection,injury, serious bleeding, hemorrhage, and nerve damage and you are whining about surgery! Grow up. And try educating yourself before you tell someone to let their dog hump another dog. Which could in fact be terribly dangerous for a dog with this condition. It's not a joke.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:10 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• LMAO I love the twinkie comment.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 9:12 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I know all about not being able to afford a vet, but honey, you've got to in this case. That's not normal and could be painful for him. I'd try Obby's suggestion or try some honey. If that didn't work, I'd take him to the vet. My dog did this once. It was just a few hours, but it still hadn't gone back in, so I called the vet. She told me to give it another couple hours, but beyond that, to bring him in. She said they could put it back in without surgery, but she didn't tell me how they do it.
    Give us an update, will you?
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2011