Should I be doing something to get my nipples ready for breastfeeding?

I am almost 36 weeks, and just wanted to know if there is something I should be doing to prepare my nipples? I was super sore for the first like 8 weeks of nursing my first baby, but I didn't do anything to help them out before hand.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Pregnancy

• No. THE most important thing to do is work on your latch when the baby is born, that will eliminate the sureness.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:43 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• No, you shouldn't. Anything you do could stimulate your nipples induce contractions.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 7:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• NO! There are lots of old wives tales and even doctors who will tell you to rub them or massage them, but the only thing that stops them getting sore when you start nursing is making sure you have a good technique with a good latch. And don't assume because you've done it before it will "come naturally" or be easy because that's not necessarily true. An older baby's hold and latch are different to what you need to do with a newborn, so you'll have to learn all over again even if you breastfed for years. I've breastfed 6 kids and every time I struggled at first with getting the latch just right.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 7:45 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Nope.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:59 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• You don't want to stemilate your breast, it will bring on labor and right now, ur baby needs all the time it can get to gain weight so to be healthy when born.
    djh0505

Answer by djh0505 at 9:14 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Not your NIPPLES; no.

Your mind and support; yes!

Best wishes!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:58 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• ask dh or so to suckle on them when ur having hmm (TMI), my dh started it for me when i was 7 months with my ds
    cataquiroz24

Answer by cataquiroz24 at 11:04 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• No.
    SlapItHigh

Answer by SlapItHigh at 11:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2011