Can you use an Aluminum "tamale steamer" for canning?

Another canning question! I've been shopping for a water bath canner (I know some people say you don't need it, but I think my DH will want to do some pickles which will require the larger size) and I came across a large "tamale and seafood steamer" at Walmart for only like $20. It ws at least 21 Qt and rather than a rack it had a divet around the bottom (an inch or two from the base) whee a disc with holes to pop in and out. Nothing to keep jars from hitting the sides of the pot though... Is there an issue with aluminum? Could the pot not be able to withstqand higher temps maybe? Is this a great idea. or is there a reason it is not sold as a canner?

earthmama727

Asked by earthmama727 at 7:45 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Shopping

• I would google that Q somehow or go to a canning site forum. You can't be too careful with canning. The jars can't be touching the sides or rattling during the boiling process etc. It's best to find out everything first for safety bcz you're dealing with "boiling water" here.
    Personally, I wouldn't. I use a pressure canner-20qt. They make a graniteware canner that doesn't cost much too.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 7:16 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• bump
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:49 PM on Jun. 26, 2011