Can you use an aluminum "tamale steamer" as a canner?

Another canning question! I've been shopping for a water bath canner (I know some people say you don't need it, but I think my DH will want to do some pickles which will require the larger size) and I came across a large "tamale and seafood steamer" at Walmart for only like $20. It ws at least 21 Qt and rather than a rack it had a divet around the bottom (an inch or two from the base) where a disc with holes pops in and out. Nothing to keep jars from hitting the sides of the pot though... Is there an issue with aluminum? Could the pot not be able to withstand higher temps maybe? Is this a great idea. or is there a reason it is not sold as a canner?

earthmama727

Asked by earthmama727 at 7:47 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Boiling water is boiling water. As long as it is big enough for the water to cover the jars and lids then you can use whatever pot you want to. The canner type ones have the rack to position the jars but I have used other pots when I was canning small jars.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 9:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2011