Do you ever say this to your daughter?

"He's only teasing you because he likes you!". I was told this as a kid all the time. I was talking to someone yesterday that brought up how terrible it is to say this to your daughter because it teaches them to persue boys/men that don't treat them nicely. I thought it was an excellent point that I had never thought about before.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:50 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think that's a bit of a stretch.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:54 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I guess that's how you define 'teasing' - it can be great fun and indicates intelligence and wit. I'd steer clear of anything that encourages over-analysing anything and promote following your instinct. I'm sure the values and high self-esteem you've instilled in your daughter negates any fear that she would have a SO that didn't treat her well. I would love a daughter, you're very lucky.
    ItsHalfFull

Answer by ItsHalfFull at 7:58 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• It doesn't mean that. That is a very far reach.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:34 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• You know, I actually never would have thought of it that way but I see the point, to an extent at least. I'm sure we all heard that as kids but it didn't make us all attracted to jerks. On the other hand, with the problems currently with bullying, etc, it is something to think about. When I was in fourth grade there was a boy that liked me and kept teasing me, and I didn't like it. One day he pinched my butt in school and I told my parents, they called the teacher and it stopped after that. So in that case I am glad they didn't just tell me he was teasing me and to be ok with it, because I wasn't ok with it. So I think it's smart to listen to your kids if anyone's behavior is bothering them, and to help them deal with the situation, we just have to decide if it's a real problem or silly childish antics.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 10:22 PM on Jun. 22, 2011