Corn on the cob.

Might sound silly or ignorant, but I've never done it and don't know how.

How do I cook corn on the cob?

Boil water and then put it in or put it in water and then bring to a boil? And how long after boiling is it done?

Thank you!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:50 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Food & Drink

• i boil the water while my hubby cleans the corn, and put it in for just a few minutes. more than a few minutes makes it chewy and not as good. the fresher it is the better, and crisper it will be.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 2:20 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I steam mine. But, since i do not have a steamer, i set a metal colander in the bottom of a large pot, put a few inches of eater in there, throw the corn in the colander making sure they're not touching the water, put the lid on it & steam for about 15 minutes.

In my opinion, steaming keeps more flavor in the corn. When boiling, a lot of the flavor & juices run out into the boiling water.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:54 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I used to boil it until DH introduced me to steaming it. Definately steam it if you have a steamer. Get a BIG pot, put in the steamer and water, add the corn, turn it on and after the water's been boiling and it's steamed about 10 mins and it's bright yellow it's done!

You can also grill it, but I'm always afraid of burning it up that way.....
    Anonymous

• To grill it you soak the corn in the husk in salt water for about 20-30 min then toss it on the grill for a good 15 min turning frequently. Sooooooo good that way but yes steaming is very as well.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:54 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• put it in the water..bring it to a boil..let it boil about 10 mins...butter and salt and pepper :) mmmmm..yummy
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:51 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My grandma always insisted that the water be at a rolling boil before putting the corn in, then cooking only until the corn is tender (about 5 min). Overcooked corn gets sticky, like overcooked pasta. That's the only way I've ever cooked it.
    LoriSnyder

Answer by LoriSnyder at 7:54 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• The absolute best way to cook corn, is to have the pot of water boiling before you go out to your garden to pick it! Corn converts the sugar to starch very quickly. Older corn will taste less sweet and a little chewy. If the kernels have little dents in them, the corn is too old to cook.

Assuming that you can only buy your corn from a market and that it's as fresh as you can get, fill a large pot 2/3 full of fresh water and bring to a full boil. Shake a bit of sugar in the water (Not Salt! Salt makes the corn tough). About a teaspoon. Husk the corn and rinse to get all the little silk strands off. Then put 4-5 ears of corn into the pot- do not over load it. All the ears should be in the water. Return to a full boil, and set the timer for about three minutes. By five minutes it is overdone. It should be a light yellow. If it is bright yellow, it's overcooked.

Serve immediately! May add butter, salt & pepper to taste
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 11:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Yes, I love it on the grill too, but I won't cook it like that because I'm afraid of burning it. But I don't have a steamer, so I will have to boil. Thank you ladies.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:55 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I cook mine in unsalted boiling water for maybe two or three minutes.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 1:45 PM on Jun. 23, 2011