when can you tell the gender?

I am now 18 weeks pregnant with my twins and have a scheduled ultrasound on monday, we are hoping to find out what they sex of them will be. BUT I asked my friend who just had a baby and she said it would not be able to tell what they are. I have two boys and i cant seem to remember how far along i was when they told me the sex of them. Anyone know?

amandasthird

Asked by amandasthird at 2:17 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i dont think it would not be able to tell normally is after 20 weeks..
    Anonymous

• The baby's genitals are completely developed at 12 weeks. They're just not visible. At 14 weeks I had an ultrasound due to complications and they said she looked like a girl, at 19 weeks I went for my gender scan and sure enough, she was. They will be able to tell, as long as the babies cooperate. Good luck. =]
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 2:20 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• You might with one i found out at 15 one i was 17 and this one i was 21. but being that far you should it is usually 18-22 weeks before you can tell.
    Anonymous

• You will definitely be able to tell by then! Provided the babies co-operate and are willing to show you their little parts. I was 16 weeks pregnant when we found out we were having a boy.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 2:21 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Usually around 20 wks. I have heard of people finding out at 17 though. You should be able to find out on Monday unless they are hiding their parts!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 2:23 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Your baby's gender is determined externally as early as 13 weeks -- Obviously the older the baby is the more pronounced it becomes and the more obvious it is to the sonogram technician. Certainly there is no guarantee the baby will cooperate, but the parts are there! I have a friend that learned the gender of her baby at 14 weeks, and I was told on this guy at 19 weeks.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 2:27 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I was 20 weeks, but I think they'll be able to tell now. I know you can't wait too long or there is a probability that the baby will be too big and in a position that doesn't show the genitals.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 2:29 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I found out at 17 wks with my son. As for this one, I found out at 15.
    jwl3mom

Answer by jwl3mom at 2:34 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• At 19 weeks I was told 90% chance a girl. At 24 weeks it was definitely a boy. I guess it's a lot more accurate after 20 weeks.
    Anonymous

• I think it's possible but not 100% accurate ...it never is until the baby is out LOL!!
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 2:55 PM on Dec. 13, 2008