What do you use for ear mites?

My pup just got diagnosed with ear mites and the cost at the vet to clear it up came to $260. Looking for a recommended OTC solution.

Liveyourlifeval

Asked by Liveyourlifeval at 8:28 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Pets

• YIKES! We had a cat with ear mites once and it didn't cost nearly that to completely treat him. I'd be looking for a different vet. Sorry I can't help you though. Good luck to you and your pup!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I was told to flush them out with vinagar and water.....just make sure you do it outside because it makes a mess....im not sure if it works or not but i remember being told that a long time ago. Good luck and I hope you find something...
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 8:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• HOLY COW!! My vet gave my cat medicine for $10. You can find a new vet (like a clinic) or use olive oil and tea tree oil. Do it consistently for about 2 week.s
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 8:36 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Wow! Our puppy got earmites and I don't recall it costing that much! All they did was rub some ointment in the ears, and the mites went away, I don't remember any meds or anything.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 8:39 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I can't believe it either. With costs like this it's no wonder so many pet owners are abandoning their animals.
    I was so take back by the cost that I sought other solutions - R-7 Ear Care Kit. Anyone ever heard of it? It supposedly cleans ears, controls ear mites and ticks and reduced ear odor. Crossing my fingers.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Liveyourlifeval

Comment by Liveyourlifeval (original poster) at 8:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I'd call around because that is a lot for ear mite meds. I'd still get it from the vet but I would find a vet that is more reasonable.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:09 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• First, you definitely need to find a new vet! YIKES!

I used cleaning cloths but for the life of me, I cannot remember the name. They worked pretty good, but this was several years ago.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• They sell medicine for mites at places like Southern States, I know what you mean about people getting rid of their pets. I just took mine to the vet and it cost me 250.00 to find out what was wrong with him. Come to find out he had an thyroid problem and now has to be on meds for the rest of his life.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 9:09 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I think I'd get a second opinion
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• FYI: Revolution works extremely well and not only does it prevent and treat ear mites but fleas, ear mites, heartworm, ticks, roundworms and hookworms too! You only administer once per month via a small tube of revolution and that's it!
    I do clean my pups ears with R7 twice a week though just to get the gunk out. LOVE it!!..and wanted to share. :)

Liveyourlifeval

Comment by Liveyourlifeval (original poster) at 11:58 AM on Aug. 8, 2011