Good gifts for recovering from open heart surgery

My DH's father is having open heart surgery after having a heart attack on Friday and I am trying to think of some good gift ideas. He lives in Florida and we live in Virginia so I am looking for something that I can send to him or help him once he returns home.

amandajoy21

Asked by amandajoy21 at 8:36 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Health

• Try to find a place that will deliver food for the week? My husband had open heart surgery 5 years ago at the age of 32. Having meals prepared for at least a couple days would have made things a lot less stressful. Or, rent a hospital bed for them and have it delivered. We rented one for a month and my husband was able to sleep so much better as it is very hard to get up and down out of bed.
    KJohnson4762

Answer by KJohnson4762 at 8:46 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Soothing throat lozenges...my dad had a very bad sore throat...maybe word or number search books, deck of cards to play solitaire. Hand held games...I love the idea of having food taken to him some how!!
    mbc324

Answer by mbc324 at 9:01 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Does he read? Maybe a good book or a series.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 8:39 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• When my MIL had hers she had a big Heart pillow. Not sure if the hospital gave it to her..but when she held it in both arms in front of her it really comforted the pain from the surgery. :)
    Anonymous

• A Pillow Pet. I know it sounds ridiculous to send to a grown man, but I remember when my grandmother had open heart surgery, the hospital gave her a stuffed bear to hug...not remembering exactly why...pain maybe?...I was just a kid and all I remember is how much I wanted that teddy bear! LOL

Also if he likes to read maybe a Nook or Kindle.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• A cleaning service? A grocery shopping service?

Answer by Bmat at 8:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• A reader, like a nook or Kindle?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2011