What's the difference

between the attitude "everyone worships the same god I do, they just call it different things, or even think it's really 2 or more" and "my god is the one true god"? How is the first not a sugar-coated version of the second?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:53 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Saying "my god is the one true god" is exclusive, and the former attitude is inclusive.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 8:55 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• the former attitude is inclusive.

Is it really inclusive to redefine everyone else's belief and insist it's really just your own belief by a different name?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:56 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I guess it depends on the context in which each of the statements were said, but generally the ones that say the former are more inclusive in my experience. In some cases, they may even believe that the 2 or more gods are different manifestations of one divine source and so believe that statement AND believe in many gods. So, they may believe that it's all the same (or from the same source) but manifest in different ways. I can say for myself that I personally believe everyone is worshiping the same concept of God, but unlike someone with an exclusive view--I don't except everyone else to agree with that statement. I'm okay with people finding their own paths and views. It's my personal belief. I allow others to hold their own beliefs, and even enjoy hearing about them. So, the difference in the above statements may depend on what else is said and whether someone is saying their way is the ONLY way or not. IMHO
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:01 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• That should be *expect ^ above
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:02 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Well...if someone says either of those statements, rather than "I believe that..." they are both wrong.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 9:11 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• They are both a little arrogant, but it really depends on the attitude of the person saying it. I personally believe that there is one higher power that is in everything so that we all worship the same being as different names or different personas. However, when I say that, it is based solely on what I personally believe. I don't want to speak for other people and what they believe. We won't know who is "correct" until the day we pass into the afterlife and hopefully the "truth" is revealed to us.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:33 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I don't say it to be sugar coated or arrogant. I truly believe we are all relating to the same Divine, and that we merely understand it in different ways. I believe what works best for me, but I admit that my belief is only my perception. All are equally valid, IMO, since the point isn't about which perception is the most "accurate", in terms of what the Divine refers to Itself as, or how many persons make up Divinity. The validity comes from the universal foundation in love and compassion, in the transcendent truths found in all faiths. When we die we'll learn how "accurate" our perception is/was, and I'm not claiming mine is anymore "accurate" than anyone else's, if you get what I mean. I'm just relating to the Divine through my personal understanding.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:36 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I don't really see the first as arrogant, but I don't see it as redefining everything in terms of my own belief being right. I see it as saying "There is something larger than ourselves, various cultures have devised different ways of relating to it, and all of those ways are equally valid." When I say it, I don't think anyone's religion has the monopoly on truth, I think they are all different attempts to frame the divine in human terms and some are going to resonate with some people moreso than others.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I would be a statement #2 person (basically, kind of).

God, He that is I AM; the God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob; Father of Christ; Alpha and Omega - He is all of these and more.

BUT He is not what/whoever you want to worship.

Worshiping baals is not worshiping God. Worshiping the earth is not worshiping God. Worshiping Vishnu or Ra, or a god exalted from man is not worshiping God.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 10:20 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I don't say the first statement because I don't know if they are worshiping the same God I do or not. In another post, soyousay said, "you can't leave Jesus out of the equation". I think that applies to your question too. Other religions may call God by a different name, but if they deny Jesus Christ, they are denying God.

Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven. (Mt.10:32,33)
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 10:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2011