Does your child do this? If so, what do you do?

Oh my god! WHY has my son decided to try aerobics while breastfeeding?! He will not hold still, doesn't tolerate being covered most of the time, and claws at my damn skin..is breastfeeding this frustrating to every mother that breastfeeds?!

kimandeverrett

Asked by kimandeverrett at 8:55 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• kids get to where they dont like to be covered.. so i didnt cover them.. when we went places i always pumped and brought a bottle. as for the clawing ur damn skin lol idk sry my kids didnt do that. Its a bit annoyin when they want to keep it in their mouth and want to turn and see whats behind them.. never knew i could stretch that far lol
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 8:58 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My little girl likes to grab and pinch and carry on too. She often tries to grab the nipple of my other breast which is REALLY annoying!! It is very very frustrating, but it's not a dealbreaker for me - I put up with it as I did for her 5 brothers and sisters, for the sake of breastfeeding her, and will continue until she's 2 or more years old and ready to stop.

I don't thing ALL babies are so difficult, but certainly some are. I think it has to do with like, have you ever seen a kitten nursing? It kneads at the mother cat's abdomen. And baby cows and goats head-but the mother's udder. Somthing to do with stimulating the let-down, I assume.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 8:59 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• it can be my dd does that too sometimes
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 8:59 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Thanks guys. I think some of it (like the yanking of the breast he is nursing on) has to do with the let downs but the clawing at my face just hurts like hell lol. And I will nurse him until he is ready to stop, I just don't know why he tries to stand up haha. I have been trying to nurse him with nothing going on around us but then I fall asleep haha.
    kimandeverrett

Comment by kimandeverrett (original poster) at 9:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Wait until he starts kicking your stomach...! I think I would hold a hand while he nursed...I don't recall.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 9:16 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• my DD likes to squirm sometimes too while feeding. I FF and when she gets like this I pull the bottle away and try to soothe her and try again once she stops moving/kicking. this has been working for me. Idk if you could make it work for you too. GL
    mmsfirstone

Answer by mmsfirstone at 9:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Nursing necklaces can help with the clawing. I used ds's blanket. When he would grasp and claw I would put it in his hands. It broke that habit quickly. Also nursing in a quiet room with little distractions helps with the aerobics. As far as being covered, just ditch the cover. Nurse in front of a mirror and you will see little to nothing is exposed while nursing. Don't worry about the cover or anyone's opinion about you not being covered. A cover tends to scream look here I am nursing so less people tend to notice when you are without a cover.
    mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 9:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My boyfriend makes me wear one. He gets really stressed and upset when I don't. And I've tried the necklace idea, doesn't seem to do much. I'll try his blankie next time though. Thanks for the great ideas. =]
    kimandeverrett

Comment by kimandeverrett (original poster) at 9:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Try a blanket...
    H-Tina

Answer by H-Tina at 9:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I'm jealous actually.. I had to stop breastfeeding at 2 months because of issues with my son and I couldn't wait for all these "problems" I cried for weeks when I had to give him formula.. as silly as that may sound, I felt like I failed as a Mother not being able to feed my baby...no matter what I ate didn't eat tried and didn't try, he unlatched 50 times each 10 minutes feeding only leaving him gassIER and upset and his stomache sounded like ton of bricks were hitting it and he would scream in pain.. so sad.. my lactose soy rice milk alomond milk food allergy baby I couldn't BF .. ahh.. so I know this must be SO frustrating but I am still envious...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2011