When you never hear from family until....you get invited to a Bridal shower?

I just got an invitation in the mail today from my DH's side of the family whom I never, ever, ever hear from in years of marriage. They don't even acknowledge me really. Not in phone calls, they invited my DH up to visit his brother but said "Hubby only". That just about killed me. They live in Massachusetts and we live in Texas.

Now that there first daughter is getting married, I recieve an invitation to the bridal shower 14oo miles away? Um, like I can really make it to that?

It says the couple are registered at Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn & Target.

I feel like ...in years and years they exclude me from everything (and I never complain to anyone about this except, to my husband) even to the point of calling our home and requesting a visit from DH to go  up and visit his brother and spend time. (She said "but just you' ) and now they just want another gift for their daughter?  Is that all I am?  I have never done anything whatsoever to these people, they just have always acted like they can see through me, I'm invisible or not really here with Hubby.  That's how I feel.  I'm never included in anything when they call "hey, how's ____?  Tell her we said Hello".  Nothing. Nothing ever.

Am I just another gift for their daughters new household??

Am I wrong to feel this way???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Relationships

• Sounds like they're trolling for gifts. Hand it over to your husband & let him handle it since it's his side of the family & they have excluded you. Tell him what your budget is, & let him decide if they are worthy of a gift card or not.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:07 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• no I do not think you are wrong, I also live in Texas and my family in Cali and they stopped sending me stuff cuz I would call them and tell them really I do not even talk to this person. My husband family doesnt like me either so they never invite me to anything and we live in the same town
    SkylaReneeMom

Answer by SkylaReneeMom at 9:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Yah, I get those too. Dont visit, don't invite me anywhere but when it involves something with giving a gift. I just ignore them.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:06 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I'd send a card saying congratulations and sign it.. Of course you can't make it, but you can be the bigger person and congratulate her
    danichaos

Answer by danichaos at 9:54 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I think I would have a hard time not telling them to fuck off :/
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:14 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Ok, Thank You. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't imagining or overreacting but, it does upset me. I kept thinking, well, I guess I'm going to have to be the bigger person here and just reply happily. There's no name on it, no Hello___, nothing, just a cold, plain invite. The mother (my SIL) is one of these people who just steps all over people with her big feet and it doesn't bother her one bit in doing it. I'm not this way...I'm just not put together this way ,so...I'm not good at fighting back. Never was, never will be I guess. I am getting tired of it though and would like for them to know....that I know....and don't appreciate being left out like I don't exist. One of these days it's going to HAVE to come out! I will give it to DH and let him reply and handle what gift. Thanks to all of you for reading my post.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I will do that, yes..I definitely will sign and tell them Congratulations & Best Wishes etc.
    Thank You! :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2011