Was anyone else neglected as a child by their own mother??

I had a rough life living with my mother when i was a kid. I mean like bad...i have nothing good to say about her...even nowadays. I know they say forgive and forget...but lemme just say a hungry, lonely, 6 year old will never forget!
Just wondering if anyone else has a not so good relationship with their mother?? I mean i talk to my mom and everything...but she doesn't deserve the mother of the year award or anything.

YerMami24

Asked by YerMami24 at 9:18 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Relationships

• Yes
    My mom put her own needs over mine ALOT. I'd literally go to school with an empty tummy and buttered bread and a thermos of water for lunch.
    When I was 16 she married a convicted sex offender(rape and child molestation) but thats a whole other story....

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:23 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I am terribly sorry to hear that butterflyblue19 :( I was fortunate enough to have an awesome aunt who came to rescue me when i was about 8 or 9...my mom always chose men, booze, and drugs over me! Now that im grown she tries to tell me how to raise my child and tries to make me drop everything to cater to her when she NEVER fed me...okay maybe once in a while. most of the time i was eating at neighbors and such....:(
    YerMami24

Comment by YerMami24 (original poster) at 9:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I have never respected my Mom; I've always felt that my sister and brother and I were only born because Dad wanted kids, but he went off to work every day and left us with her. She was totally self-absorbed and resented having us underfoot. We talk on the phone occasionally nowadays but she's never made any attempt to be a grandma to my kids and I wouldn't really want her in their lives anyway.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 9:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I was emotionally neglected. It took awhile of seeing a therapist for me to decide what I wanted to do with my relationship with my mom. I will never exactly say that I "forgive" her, but working on my anger about what I experienced has helped me move from the past to my current relationship with her, and things have gotten much better. I'm sorry about what you went through, and still going through with your mother. That's something no child should have have to experience.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• i was partly i guess. my mom didnt care if i took regular showers, brush my teeth, change regularly. She also didnt take me to get proper check ups as i got older. i never went to the dentist. i also fell about 10-15ft, taking a "short cut" off the side of an over pass with friends, and almost broke my arm and cut my chin(sp???) pretty good. my left arm was swollen and i was in pain for around a week until she took me in. Doc said he would have given me stiches if i would have gone in that day. i also almost broke my arm. i was also going to school the whole time!!!
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 9:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• No need to be sorry namaste17... i just had been reading through others questions and they were saying good stuff about their mom but i have nothing good to say...only that i WILL NEVER BE LIKE HER! I love my child i could NEVER treat him the way i was treated...it just makes me sick to think there are children going through this and worse! But really it was out of curiousity :)
    YerMami24

Comment by YerMami24 (original poster) at 9:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Yes - my mother never hesitated to show which one of her children were her favorites. She once told me when I was about 10 years old that my siblings and I have ruined every one of her birthdays and every single holiday for her. She didn't beat us but would smack us and ask us why we did stupid things. She'd go on benders and leave me and my sister to care for our younger brothers. She'd date men who would hit us and my sister and I got the brunt of that since I went after one of the guys when he went after my 4 year old brother (I was 11 at the time). I now have custody of my two youngest brothers who are 14 and 16; the other two are 18 and 24 and live on their own.
    Anonymous

• God bless you anonymous! I only had an older sister which my mom kicked her out and she didn't live with us.
    YerMami24

Comment by YerMami24 (original poster) at 9:37 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Yep, my parents were drunk, drug infested COPS who not only molested us, beat us, played russian roulette with us, cuffed us while beating and molesting us--and they wonder why I don't visit!
    Anonymous

• OMG! I'm speechless...
    YerMami24

Comment by YerMami24 (original poster) at 10:33 PM on Jun. 22, 2011