To intervene or not?

My husband and I were shopping in the Home Goods store today.  A mom and her little boy, around 2 or 3 yrs old, came into the store, he was sitting in a shopping cart  He started crying,  he cried for quite awhile, she just ignored him.  I got so upset I think my blood pressure went up 20 points, I mean he was hysterical.  I wanted to go over to her and tell her to please try and comfort him I felt so sorry for that little boy.  My husband didn't think that was a good idea, as I started to approach the check out counter they were done and left the store  I mentioned what had happened to the salespeople they all agreed that he did cry quite a long time, but didn't think it was wise to say anything to the mom, I think if I had the opportunity I would have said something.  What do you moms think, would it be rude of me to say something, or was that little boy being abused and no one cared?

joey125

Asked by joey125 at 9:46 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't think you would have been rude to say something, unless what you said was rude. I mean, maybe he was throwing a tantrum and she was ignoring it or maybe he was really in pain, we just don't know. If you were to nicely ask, is he ok? That would have been fine, if you went up to her and yelled or told her she was a bad mother for letting her kid cry, that would have been rude, not knowing the situation. Even if he was just throwing a tantrum though, the mom shouldn't have just let him do it in the store to bother everyone else. I find that in itself rude, but many people don't think the same way.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 9:53 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Depends on what you would have said....what were you thinking of saying?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I wouldn't have said anything to the mother other than is he okay? Either that or I would have asked the little boy in a sweet little voice...what's the matter baby?
    zoomomto3

Answer by zoomomto3 at 9:49 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I don't think he was being abused, if he was someone would have seen something. All parents handle things differently. I for one would not have allowed my child to cry like that and it annoys the you know what out of me when I am out somewhere and someone else's child is being obnoxious. Saying something to her would not have done anything, she could obviously hear him. Children need to learn how to behave in public and he should have been being taught that.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:50 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I don't think I would say anything. Maybe he was sick and she had no choice but to take him with her. She could have tried to comfort him though. Depends on what the problem was. I hate to see that though. But if any woman came up to me in a store and told me what they thought I should do with my child...I can't say that I would appreciate it
    Anonymous

• No I would not have intervened unless I knew he why he was crying. She could have been ignoring him because he was having a tantrum, usually only parents can tell the difference between a "somethings wrong" cry and a "tantrum cry".
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:54 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• well if he came in crying you dont know what he was crying about. my 3 soon to be 4 year old will pitch a god awful fit and cry for what seems like for ever if he wants something and i wont give in. its definelty not your place to step in. if he was crying out of hunger and he was saying i'm hungry my stomach hurts and the mother wasnt paying any attention then yes maybe. i know my kid has cried because he was hungry and i was in the store because we didnt have anything to eat at home, but i told my son that i was trying and i would feed him as soon as we got home. i didnt just ingore him. but not knowing the context of his crying i'd advice staying out of it.
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 9:56 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I would have stayed out of it. Maybe that child cries all the time. Maybe she tried to comfort him and he didn't want it. Maybe he was having a temper tantrum because he didn't get what he wanted. He was NOT being abused so you had no reason to butt in.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:04 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I don't think you should have said anything. You have no idea why he was crying. Perhaps he didn't want to sit in the cart and she wouldn't give in. You have no idea the circumstances.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:24 PM on Jun. 22, 2011