Tubal Ligation Question - TMI adult content

I had this question in the Health section but didn't get much feedback, and this category has more traffic. I am laid off so can't GO to the doctor right now due to not yet having new insurance coverage.

I had tubal ligation on April 15. Was due for my period on April 23 and have yet to actually have my period as of today. My last cycle was March 27.

Is this normal? Has anyone gone through this? They told me and my SO the instructions after surgery, said everything went perfectly and I was all good. We followed instructions and had sex again when we were told we could. I did a pregnancy test morning of the surgery, it was negative. I did one again this past week to be sure, it was negative.

What is going on here? The nurse had told me surgery could bring on my period. The doctor said it could mess up my equilibrium and delay it a bit. That was 3 weeks after surgery though when I saw him last.

Could it really have screwed me up this much to not have a period all this time?

Just want to know if anyone else went through this also. Thanks for any help or insights.

rio_burb

Asked by rio_burb at 9:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Relationships

• Sorry, I don't have the answer to your question but I will bump for ya! GL
    PatriciaofMN

Answer by PatriciaofMN at 11:55 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• ever since i had my tubal 3 and half years ago my periods have been so screwed up. the first year i kept buying home pregnancy test cause i would go 2 or 3 months without a period. finally i went to family planning to get a free pap exam and that dr said that it is sometimes normal after having a tubal. for me it was because before i had my tubal i was on birth control for so long, with the exception of baby making time, i got lucky and got prego a month after i stopped bc. then after i had my kids i got back on bc and the hormones kept my periods "normal" i still go 2 months without a period then will bleed for 7 days when b4 the tubal i would bleed for only 4. my gyn assures me that its normal, that chances are i could of had irregular periods before just never knew it. my mom put me on bc when i started my period at 13 yrs old.
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 12:15 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Hmm, it's so weird. Thanks for your input! I will be seeing the doc once my new insurance comes through, but I'm just so frustrated with it. I was on BC for years, got off it and got pregnant in one month. After I had my son 6 years ago, was on it until 2009. I went off it for a surgery and never went back on it since I wasn't doing anything with my now ex-husband. My periods were actually regular though for the first time ever, weird as that sounds. BC always helped me to regulate in the past. But now, this is crazy. Just hope something isn't wrong.

Thanks again!
    rio_burb

Comment by rio_burb (original poster) at 12:33 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I had my tubal ligation while in the hospital right after my daughter was born so I was already bleeding from that but my periods did change some but 6 years later I'm not a real good indicator cause I am on seasonique for a hormone imblance and the past two times I was suppose to get a period I only had minor spotting and I assume its from the pill not the tubal
    DianeMary

Answer by DianeMary at 4:34 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• normal, it's just a delay... stop doing what I did and spend mountains of money on negative preg test :) Tubals work... they don't come undone in the first two months. relax things will get back to normal
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 4:18 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Good to know, thank you! When the nurse asked on the phone if we used protection, I said no and she said 'oh no' and I was shocked. We did exactly what the doctor instructed us to do, so we thought we were ok. When she told me to take a pregnancy test, I got nervous. Guess I'll just hang in there and see when it arrives. Thanks for all your help, everyone!
    rio_burb

Comment by rio_burb (original poster) at 7:14 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I know im late but if your still wondering, I have had mine tied for 4 years now and have been having unprotected sex since I got them tied multiple times a day and never been pregnant. Before they were tied I used to have regular cycles. For example now I havent gotten one since March and its July. I am not pregnant. But I do understand the worry of wondering "what if". I have no advice to give you because the dr doesnt know either, just letting you know that you are not alone.
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 12:13 AM on Jul. 1, 2011