IF MY SON IS BORN AT 25 WEEKS WILL HE MAKE IT???

I have been having contractions and everything and my doctor says that my cevix is thinned out but im not yet dialated and he put me on bed rest so that i could try an hold my son in for at least 8 more weeks...

but im scared im not gonna be able to so do u think if he is born at 25 weeks he will make it??

someone please help me im nervous and scared to death if i lose him i dont know what ill do because i just lost one last may!!!!!!!!

nikkik2008

Asked by nikkik2008 at 2:38 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Didn't you ask this yesterday? Just stay in bed and obey your doctors orders. They should have put you on magnesium to stop the contractions, if they didn't call them and ask about it or one of the other meds for contractions. DO NOT try to put yourself further in labor by doing housework or anything else, except what the doctor is allowing you (showering and going potty). Honey, try to stay in bed and take care of yourself and the baby.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 2:44 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• He will likely survive but will have some problems and most likely spend a few months in the NICU. At this age the survival rate is like 50%. But if you are on bed rest and you are not dilating yet then you should make it at least a couple more weeks. some women start to dilate that early and dont deliver until they are like 34-36 weeks. GOOD LUCK and try not to be so stressed it isnt going to help.
    Anonymous

• But if for some reason the labor can't be stopped, he does have a chance at life. 25 wks is really early though, and he would spend about 2 months or so in NICU, so just take care of yourself, honey.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 2:45 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Look it up online, there's been a baby born at 22 weeks that made it. Make sure you go to a hospital with a Newborn Intensive Car Unit. The baby will look funny and be like 2-3 lbs but theres a good chance the baby will make it.
    nicholeluvslucy

Answer by nicholeluvslucy at 2:46 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• every baby is different, some are stronger then others. You may have to have to ask your doc. about that.
    effie777

Answer by effie777 at 2:46 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• How good of a NICU does your hospital have? Your baby will need a lot of help and support becasue his organ will not be fully grown. Medicine has come a long way and can do some amazing things these days.It is not impossible, but if you do not live near a place with great premie care then I would be a little more worried and see if you can stay with friends or in a hotel closer to one that does in case you do go into labor. Stay with the bed rest, try to only get up to go to the bathroom and nothing else. Good luck, you will be in my thoughts.
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 3:56 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I have a friend that had her bb at like 25 week. and the bb has to be in the hospital for like 3 month. On till the body has fully develop. The bb is doing good. Thank God! But it has been very hard for the mother. So is like some other mommys said. It depends on the bb.
    Jamie8788

Answer by Jamie8788 at 4:54 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Babies can be viable at 24 wks but those babies have a really rough start w/ lots of medical issues. The longer you can stay pregnant the better. Follow doctors orders to a tee! Drink lots of water- staying hydrated can sometimes help keep contractions at bay. Try to stay positive, your doing a great job! Stay in bed- don't do anything yourself. Try not to worry to much.
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 1:16 PM on Jan. 4, 2009