Am the only one who understands this or am I wrong?

In my area an army veteran was set to build his home in a specific subdivision but the house he was planning to build wasn't large enough going by the rules of that neighborhood so he now cannot build it there or he has to build a bigger house. There are a lot of people who are outraged about this. Now my question (well questions) is why can he not just build it somewhere else? Also it is a rule. I don't believe rules should be bent because you are or were in the army or even if you were the president rules are rules. Let me clarify I deeply appreciate our troops and I am very thankful for all that they do. But am i the only one who thinks he is not an exception to the rules?

mrsbean08

Asked by mrsbean08 at 10:08 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Maybe he just likes the area.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:12 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• No, it makes sense. If the area has rules he should have to go by them also (I am a Navy wife and will be a Veteran's wife someday, so I am not against military by ANY means).
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 10:18 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• In general, no, people should be aware of the rules of a situation before going into a situation. That said, I find the very concept of HOA's (which is the reason this guy is in this situation) repulsive. If you own property, nobody should have the right to tell you what you can or cannot do on it (within the bounds of real laws, not those capriciously invented by the HOA), and you most certainly shouldn't have to pay them for the privilege of being told what you can or cannot do on your own property. In other words, membership in an HOA, and being beholden to their rules, should be voluntary, not a condition of buying property at an affordable price.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:20 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Being a veteran doesn't give him a free pass.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:23 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• why can't a guy build the house he wants? I don't get why it has to be so big...
    danichaos

Answer by danichaos at 10:52 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• He obviously purchased the property to build on; the building requirements should have been explained to him before he bought the property or maybe the home owners association changed the sq. footage restrictions while he was away, that happens a lot, unfortunately. I doubt they will give him a variance but if the rules were changed while he was away, they could elect to do so. And that's very sad, because he probably can't sell the lot in this economy. I hope everything works out and as far as the rules, I doubt he wants to break the rules but he's the one that's between the rock and the hard place...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 11:01 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• if he wanted to build strip club there then that may be different, he wanted to build a house that wasnt big enough, OH NO! he may live in a bad community and the housing community he plans to build in is safer. soldiers dont make a ton of money, so because he cant afford to build a bigger house then he doesnt deserve to live in that community? he can put his life on the line for us to be able to have what we do have but heaven forbid he live on the military sallary and not be able to build such a large house. my husband is a soldier and has been for many years and while i dont think he should get a "free pass" on things i do believe he has given everything for this country and your going to make a fit over the size of a house?!?!?! so yes, your wrong!
    julie.f

Answer by julie.f at 11:57 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I don't think I could say it any better than NP already did.

The fact that no one actually 'owns' property in the US ~ the land of no freedom and where the 'American Dream' is subject more to things like bizarre coes (like fence height ... nothing to do with safety, just aesthetics), HOA rules, and tax confiscation (which makes homeowners mere renters) ~ bothers me.

I agree that he should have understood the rules when buying, and I question why ANYone would purchase land where their choices are subject to the whims of the neighbors, especially a soldier.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:08 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I didn't know HOA's also included the sq footage of the house you could build. That's ridiculous. If he bought the land, and that stipulation was changed AFTER he bought it, then he should still be able to build the house he wants to build. Otherwise, the contract has been broken by the other party. In which case, he could sue. I would think, hope, that when he bought the land the sq footage of the house he could build would be clearly stated in the land contract. They go over things very clearly. If this was left out, would he not have a leg to stand on? There seems to be something left out here. I'm not saying rules should be bent here, though I'm softhearted here, but, something doesn't feel right here. Unless he bought the land from an individual person, and no attorney was involved, no title company, no one went over the contract with him? He was never informed of the house issue?
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 10:32 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• He most likely knew the rules when he bought the land if he didn't then shame on him for not doing the research. I feel for him when you buy in an HOA you are signing up for many rules and regulations.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Jun. 23, 2011