What is the deal with the swaddle?

I had every mother telling me we needed to buy/have/know how to swaddle the baby when he came home. Well, he wasn't having any part of it when we brought him home, he wanted his arms free. So, now, here we are, 4 weeks home and he's flailing around and kicking his feet like CRAZY, all day now, all the time just being pi$$y... and my husband suggested to try and swaddle him now...after 4 weeks and I tried it... he's now quiet and sleeping soundly...??? I'm so lost... first time parent...EPIC FAIL !!

kdenise977

Asked by kdenise977 at 10:11 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can swaddle with a regular baby blanket, but as they get older a swaddle does come in handy, and esp if you breastfeed, it gives them that extra comfort so they aren't hooked all the time lol
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 10:14 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• we tried swaddling ours and she squirmed right out of it. I personally don't see the need for doing it. my DD is 3 mos now and developing fine. her ped didn't tell us we had to do it. to each their own I suppose.
    mmsfirstone

Answer by mmsfirstone at 10:15 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• It makes them feel like they did in the womb...but every parent feels like they have those EPIC FAIL moments....im sure the peds clinic here is about done with me, I call them so often (even though I am medical technician, and know most of the stuff), you start second guessing when it is your own child.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 10:15 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• But to swaddle NOW? after 4 weeks? is that odd??
    kdenise977

Comment by kdenise977 (original poster) at 10:17 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Its definitely different to all of a sudden want it, but I suppose it makes sense, my 2 month old doesn't care to be swaddled but likes to be held tightly against us and rocked to sleep.
    MamaSulli2005

Answer by MamaSulli2005 at 10:20 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• He DOES like to be held and sleeps better when all curled up with me, so it may make sense
    kdenise977

Comment by kdenise977 (original poster) at 10:21 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Remember how comfortable and warm they are in the womb :) they enjoy the tightness.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 10:27 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I think we've all been lost on different things when we were first time parents, but it doesn't mean you failed. My 2nd daughter didn't like to be swaddled or wrapped up snugly but she did like co-sleeping. I don't know if it's odd or not.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 11:02 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My son would wake himself up by punching himself, so the swaddle simply keeps him still and able to sleep without those involuntary spasms that babys seems to have before they have defined motor skills. But as baby gets older, we swaddle less and less....
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 12:56 AM on Jun. 23, 2011