Is time real?

(Yes, I'm watching Morgan Freeman's Wormhole show on the Science channel - if you haven't, look it up)

Does time really exist, or is it an artificial creation we've applied to our consciousness to make sense of what we see around us?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:23 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's pretty much a nonspatial continuum in which man derived a means of "measuring" in order to make sense of things, that said, it depends on the definition of time being used. Overall though it just keeps going and going and going,with no real means of ending, and no way to alter or change it. We can change the ways we "measure" time but we cannot change "time itself" as it really isn't there.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:36 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• It's all relative. It's a hard concept to understand
    BitsMom00

Answer by BitsMom00 at 10:38 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I think it's a fascinating question--and one I don't have an answer for.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 10:45 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• "Time" is just a name that we gave to the passing of moments, so yes, I believe it is real. Can you touch it? No. It's how you look at it that differs.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:50 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I don't think time is real. Einstein actually proved that when he did an experiment with dropping a ball while a train went by. Cant remember the details though. My "memory" sucks too! lol
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 11:28 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Time is a man idea of measurement.

I did a paper on this in college a million years ago. but I have the memory sucks thing going for me as well.
    vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 12:25 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Time is a man-made concept of observing physical changes that occur around him.

It's not physical. It's like algebra!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:49 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• In reality no time is not real... but because we are on this side of the Spiritual realm we have a thing called time.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:31 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• You know my answer to this, I know we've talked about this before! But my belief is that time is a construct of our brains... we proceed in a linear fashion and we process time in a linear fashion, but I think this may well be a limit of our own consciousness and not a characteristic of the universe itself.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:30 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Time is relative ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:53 PM on Jun. 23, 2011