My baby is three weeks old and she likes sleeping on pillows, because when i was at the hospital i put a pillow under her to breastfeed her and i guess she got used to it. Is it bad for her to take naps laying on a pillow?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• YES!!! You are just asking for her to suffocate. Take anything away that is fluffy, like a pillow. Until she has good control of her neck and head and can roll over away from things that may smother, do not leave her on them.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• She's too young to be choosing how to be sleeping on what. She could suffocate so easily. You're risking her life by letting her sleep on a pillow
    danichaos

Answer by danichaos at 10:28 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Mine did the same thing and outgrew it at about 6 wks-- he is now 3mths ---I would say as long as they are infant age and cant roll over- it would be ok---AS LONG AS THEY ARE ON THEIR BACK---and you are right there near them. hope this helps!
    dylansmother

Answer by dylansmother at 10:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• That is putting you baby at risk for SIDS.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• if its not a fluffy pillow but more like a flat one and ur watchin her then id say its ok. i put a very flat pillow in m bassenet because it was just to hard with out it.
    Creasman

Answer by Creasman at 10:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Pediatricians don't even suggest leaving baby in the crib with a blanket or stuffed animals! Let alone a pillow!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• the main reason i put mine on a pillow (hard not soft) was to elevate his head a lil so that he would not choke----he had a very bad spit up problem at the beginning----and eventually outgrew it---
    dylansmother

Answer by dylansmother at 10:43 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• They have safer options for that. My pediatrician got me the wedge.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:49 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I'd look for other alternatives, as others have said it increase the risk of SIDS. Is it just that she likes her head elevated? My DS was hospitalized at 1 week, and they rolled blankets under the crib sheet to make a little U-shaped hole for him to nestle in and then elevated the head of the bed. It worked really well. And for my ODS, I let him sleep in the car seat, it was the only way he would sleep, and did for 3-4 months, I felt guilty at the time, but eventually he outgrew it, and looking back it was safe for him, allowed me to get a little sleep.

Congrats on your baby.
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 10:53 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• If it just her head on the pillow i think it fine as long as you keep an eye on her! and btw pacifires prevent sids.
    babbykrissy

Answer by babbykrissy at 10:56 PM on Jun. 22, 2011