Do you think you are a better parent than your own mother?

I know I am because I grew up with my mother being abused. It lasted 14 years. I'm effected by it everyday, but I made sure I did not repeat what my mother went though. I'm also home a lot more because of my job choice and have more financial stabilty so my kids and I spend more quality time together. I feel I learned from my own mom.

Teachermom01

Asked by Teachermom01 at 3:07 PM on Jul. 12, 2008 in Relationships

• I grew up with my mother saying that it was her goal to help shape a better person and parent than she was and that she hoped I would shape a better person and parent when I had children...I think it is just natural (at least i hope) that we want our children to be better people and parents than us...I know we all dont grow up in an ideal setting but I think it is admerable for our parents to want us to be better and so on
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 3:18 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I am for sure!!! My mom was awful. But there were six of us and my dad traveled a lot, so she was basically a "single parent", but still. Not a lot of love from her.

I've "slipped" a lot though these past few years because of having a special needs child, but even then, I'm still a MUCH better parent than she ever was.
    Anonymous

• im still a real young mother but i think my mother did a great job raiseing 6 kids...my father was never home cause he had to work so much but my mom was always there when i needed her i think they only thing that i have done a tiny bit better at is im more finacaly stable them my family was, we always had to move or live in a 2 bedroom apartment...but it happens i learned alot from my mothers parenting and i choose to do it the same way
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 3:16 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I know I am.  My mom showed me the kind of mom NOT to be.  I grew up with a selfish, sneaky, lying mom who has always lived to make everyone else, especially her kids, feel like sh*t, and fat and ugly, while she is the only skinny beautiful person there is.  And even now, she hates that her kids have turned out better people with comfortable happy lives in spite of her.  She doesn't even make an attempt to see my kids anymore.  She has seen them twice in the last 3 months, about an  hour the first time and 10 minutes the second.  My best friend's parents are my role models and the best parents you could ever dream of. 

minivanmommy

Answer by minivanmommy at 3:57 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• yes. my mother was a good person but not a good mother. When I became pregnant I took parenting classes and child psychology classes to make up for her lack. I had an older sister who is loving and kind and I learned nurturing from her. I'm sure I'm a better mom out of opportunities to be educated so I'm not saying I'm a better person than she was. I was just better equipped with knowledge and understanding of what to expect as a parent.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:40 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Considering my mom lied to me, cheated me out of money, and stole money from me...
    Honestly, yes.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 6:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I am just still a beginner with the whole mother thing, but I would say no. My mom did a wonderful job raising my sister and I. We are both still able to tell her things and be close with her. Other than my hubby, she is my best friend. She was always there for me when I was younger. She always put us first. She is the one I look to as my role model for being a mom.
    sunshinepraying

Answer by sunshinepraying at 6:54 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Yes, but I don't think she was a bad mom. I have tried to continue all the wonderful thing she did for/with us but not the bad. 20-30 years later we know more as a society too. she spanked I dont, but everybody i knew got spanked back then.
    I think I'm a good mom but I know my daughter will be even better. Every generation our society gets a little better at taking care of children - IMHO
    Gotoyourmoms

Answer by Gotoyourmoms at 6:56 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• 100% beyond a shadow od a doubt. Sometimes it is really hard for me to grasp how she could have been so awful to my bothers and sisters and I, yet she is the most terrific Grandmother and Great Grandmother. My son says 'Mom, she's an old person worrying about getting into heaven now"..
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I would have to say I ma because my mother went out alot when I was younger and I was always left with my grandma. Plus my mom and dad had an abusive realtioship, plus when I was 14 my mom got hooked on crack. SO YEAH...I am. And I hope to always be!
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 12:44 PM on Jul. 14, 2008