Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Leaky heater ?

There is a heater in our living room which we dont use. It is always turned off because there is a missing valve or something. There is always a ton of stuff piled on it because it is ALWAYS off. We had an electrical outage in our town for the last two days. It kicked back on today. I had the baby sleeping in the living room and I was washing up the kitchen. She woke and started crying, and I saw that the heater had a lot steam coming out of it. I yanked everything off of it, grabbed the baby, and ran to the other room where the furnace gauge is and turned it off. I called my mom to come and fix it because I dont know how to turn the valves. It must have somehow been turned - which doesnt make sense because they are hard to turn... Anyways, my question is - Is whatever the steam was harmful? Is there carbon monoxide in it ? Or is it just steam? And what should I do about it since it was in our house ?

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

Answers (3)
  • Well, not knowing what kind of heat you have, there's really no good way to answer this question. Carbon monoxide comes from burning fuel. Oil. Not natural gas. And it would be leaking in the furnace, not the heater in the room. If it was steam you saw, then that's only water. Steam heat, makes me think you have cast iron radiators in your house. The steam leaks out as part of letting air out of the pipes. It's not dangerous, just hot. Get a carbon monoxide detector if your concerned.
    EireLass

    Answer by EireLass at 3:01 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

  • Was this one of those old radiator things, like this:
    http://images.google.com/images?q=steam%20radiator&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7ADBS&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi
    Then it's just steam.
    You get CO from a system that burns something like natural gas, propane, oil, or wood.
    kaycee14

    Answer by kaycee14 at 5:26 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

  • My DH is an HVAC guy he says "call a professional because it is hard to diagnos over the internet." I know that costs money, and in this economy we have precious little of it, but if you are concerned it would be worth the money.
    chrissmom734

    Answer by chrissmom734 at 9:43 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN