What are some different positions to hold my baby during breastfeeding..she is 4 days old and is constantly unlatching herself

mommahope77

Asked by mommahope77 at 10:33 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I liked the football hold personally (babies legs underneath your arm) ---I would also use a boppy or just a regular pillow for support too!! hope this helps!!!
    dylansmother

Answer by dylansmother at 10:37 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• It may be her latch that is the problem and not the position. Make sure her mouth is WIDE open and getting as much of the areola in her mouth as she can before she latches on... Dr. Sears The Breastfeeding book is great for improving latch and positions, otherwise, I recommend calling a lactation consultant and having her give you some help. Good luck, and keep up th egood work. Breastfeeding isn't easy at first, so be patient.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 10:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• if u have larger breast u might want an extra support under the cheast like a blanket or pillow an a boppy under the baby foot ball hold works great
    BOOKER123ABC

Answer by BOOKER123ABC at 10:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Football! I have DDD's, and my DD was 6 lbs so my boob was much bigger than her head. The football gave me the most control over her head/body, and also my breast.
    MorganTho

Answer by MorganTho at 10:51 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Football and cradle. Unlatching isn't really a problem... it stimulates production.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:21 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• "Unlatching isn't really a problem." Um, I beg to differ. A baby that keeps unlatching is very frustrating for the mom who has to work to relatch a new baby, and for the baby as well. A proper latch is key. Sucking stimulates production, just as well as latching, if not better. Emptying the breast frequently can only happen if the baby gets a good latch.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• the best is laying on the bed with her try it ....good luck

H-Tina

Answer by H-Tina at 9:23 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Boppy was my best friend at that age. Gives your arms a good break. Keep up the nursing, 6 weeks are the hardest. After that, it's easy peasy!
    mamanature

Answer by mamanature at 10:24 PM on Jun. 23, 2011