Is it actually a teaching that Jews who marry non-Jews will be punished by God?

Some stupid woman was ranting on and on about how she's got to marry a Jewish man because she's a Jew... And she made the statement that "Jew men who marry non-Jews will be punished by God"

So I'm wondering if she was just being a bitch - as she was with just about everything she said. Or if this is a real teaching...

Just curious!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:36 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Were you watching Dr. Phil? LOL, I am sure there are SOME Jewish people who believe that, just like their are white people who think they have to marry other whites or they will be punished and some black people who think the same.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 10:46 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I was. And I threw something at the TV before I realized I needed to just turn it off... I've never watched that show before, and don't think I'm gonna start now...

But that was the first time I heard that, so I wondered if it was actually something that was taught. I grew up hearing similar things, which is what made me wonder.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:49 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• And I threw something at the TV before I realized I needed to just turn it off...

Usually, I only do that when I'm not paying attention and real housewives of wherever comes on.

(My vote is for being a bitch, or at least, a misunderstanding of the rules, but I'll concede to one of the regulars who has studied the faith more indepth)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:10 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I had a Jewish co-worker who believed she had to marry a Jew to keep the bloodline pure, she said it was a "Jewish thing," she never mentioned anything about a spiritual consequence though.

clarity333

Answer by clarity333 at 11:31 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• It seems that it depends on what kind of Judaism they follow--I have a friend delayed his marriage to convert--in part because it would make the marriage more "acceptable" to her family (Conservative Judaism), but we have some Recon and Reform Jewish interfaith couples at our UUF as well.

"Traditional Judaism does not permit interfaith marriages. The Torah states that the children of such marriages would be lost to Judaism (Deut. 7:3-4), and experience has shown the truth of this passage all too well." source

thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 7:29 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• And the verse for reference...yeah, its NIV, but that's the only thing I own with Deuteronomy in it, lol.

Deuteronomy 7:3-4 (NIV)
    3 Do not intermarry with them. Do not give your daughters to their sons or take their daughters for your sons, 4 for they will turn your children away from following me to serve other gods, and the LORD’s anger will burn against you and will quickly destroy you.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 7:31 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I would not recommend watching Dr. Phil (I catch bits and pieces when I visit my Grandma)...eventually, you will break your TV, if not because of the over-the-top idiots he has as guests, for some of the over-the-top idiotic things he says (mostly he makes sense and offers decent advice...but every once in awhile...)
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 8:03 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• See, thalassa, I thought about that. But I figured it applied more to those who are actual decedents of the Israelite... This woman was BLONDE and a Playboy model... Seriously? Something tells me she's not strict in her faith!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 8:07 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Oh yeah, there's no way I'm going to make that a normal thing in this house. It just got turned on because General Hospital came on while I was nursing... I can't stand GH, and we only have basic cable...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 8:08 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Not to my knowledge. Where's Sharon when you need her?
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 2:09 PM on Jun. 23, 2011