I'm struggling with eating whole wheat bread, flour...you name it...

Long story short, DH's doctor told him to throw out the white flour and he did. He replaced it with whole wheat flour and he's buying whole wheat bread now....
I just can't get used to it! How do you:
A) Use whole wheat flour in recipes without the flavor of the whole wheat taking over?
B) What is a good brand of whole wheat bread? The one he bought really sucks lol

BeachyBabe

Asked by BeachyBabe at 10:47 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Food & Drink

• You will get used to whole wheat bread eventually, and then you won't like white bread at all! However, one thing you can try is to cut out bread entirely. You can get your fiber from fresh, raw fruits and vegetables.

Anyway, I switched to whole wheat flour about thirty years ago. I don't stick with one brand, because we've moved a lot, and the brands change. I usually use the store brand. Be careful! Not all "whole wheat flours" are equal. You need a flour that says "100% whole wheat". Otherwise, the company can put a teaspoon of whole wheat flour into a ton white flour, and call it whole wheat.

If your husband can take the switch gradually, you can start blending whole wheat flour into white flour in all your recipes. This makes it easier to convert, but may not be good for your DH's health. You do not have to stick with wheat flour, either. Try 100% rice flour, spelt, or other product available at health food stores
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 10:52 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• i buy sarah lee soft and smooth whole wheat bread, even my 22 month old loves it
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:55 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I love whole wheat bread,I usually love wheat products but I cant satnd whole wheat rice and pastas.
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 12:52 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• There's a cheaper bread than Soft and Smooth (which is good, but they quit putting it on sale!) called Nature's Own Whitewheat
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I don't mind the taste of wheat, but to keep gluten down, I look for other whole grains as well.

Be careful when buying. Check the label to be sure that it is made only from whole grains, and doesn't just "contain whole grains" which could mean there is a little whole grain, but mostly refined grains.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 1:44 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• If it's available near you, we stick with Aunt Millie's.  They almost always have coupons available online and it goes on sale quite a bit, too.  They have whole grain, wheat and potato breads, so between the 3 you should find one that's easier for you to take.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Use whole wheat pastry flour (softer than regular whole wheat); and use two thirds whole wheat to one third white, for baking.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:57 PM on Jun. 23, 2011