How can I help my daughter?

My daughter and friends are doing the Pennsylvania Ballet (Nutcraker). Here is the problem. My daughter feels guilty because of friends not getting the same parts. I tried to explain to my daughter she should be able to enjoy the part she recieved and not let her friends dissapointment upset her. My daughter is a beautiful dancer. I told her if her friends are truly her friends they would not behave the way they are. The friends are sad because they did not get the part they wanted.

treasure227

Asked by treasure227 at 2:59 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• That's just part of life. They're not going to get alot of what they think they should have. If they really have their heart set on something, then they need to work real hard for it.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 3:02 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• They need to get used to it. Life is not fair and it's not easy. This is why I hate these new rules for like sports teams, no rejection, everyone makes the team, bla bla bla. Kids need to learn how to handle rejection with dignity and grace. And your daughter should NOT feel bad for winning the part she worked so hard to get. Congratulate her for me!
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 3:09 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Life is full of disappointments and she earned her place..if they are her friends they will be happy for her. Ballet is a very competitive sport/art so some of this is to be expected, but if they are treating her poorly then she needs to find a better quality of friends. My DD was in a city in Ohio and was in that dance many yrs in a row..from a souffle sailor on up..never dancing Clara, but she was in the dance of the snowflakes and I think it was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. She was blessed with a group of girls that were very kind to one another..but the dancing world can be rough.

salexander

Answer by salexander at 7:00 PM on Dec. 14, 2008