How do I accept my husband's smoking?

My husband smokes and I really hate it. I'm trying not to nag him anymore. I hate the way it makes him smell. I just all around hate it. He started smoking the last couple years on the ship (Navy) and now is addicted and has maybe 3-5 a day unless he is drinking (then he will smoke more). I just don't know what to do. I've already tried talking to him and he is not quitting. I just want to know how to get past this and to not feel like there is such a rift between us.

HKittyCrzy

Asked by HKittyCrzy at 10:54 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Relationships

• Make him take a shower and brush his teeth before he hugs or kisses you... he'll get the hint when he has to work that hard. I can't stand the smell either, makes me nauseous... definitely doesn't get me in "the mood"!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:58 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• A lot of men seem to go out on the ship and smoke and think they can just come home and stop, then end up not being able to! My husband tried to pull that on me once, it didn't fly. But yeah, there isn't much you can do. My husband knows how sick I can get when I smell cig. smoke, he knows I can't stay in the same house as him if he is doing it, even just at work. I have to wash him clothes...anyway. When my husband first started drinking I had to climb a HUGE hurdle to get over it. My grandpa was an alcoholic so I had issues with him drinking. Aftera year or so (I know, a long time) I finally realized it isn't so bad if he has a few drinks once and awhile. You have to decide for yourself that you don't mind him doing it.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 10:59 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Maybe tell him no smoking in the house? After my mom quit a long time ago, she had to ask my dad to stop smoking in the house because it would make her sick.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:04 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• he doesnt smoke in the house. but even when he brushes his teeth i can still smell it. and im afraid that our one year old is going to smell like smoke after playing with daddy.
    HKittyCrzy

Comment by HKittyCrzy (original poster) at 11:08 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• He only smokes 3-5 cigarettes or packs a day? If it is the first, that's pretty good and he should be able to quit very easily.. If it is the second, well maybe he can go to the Dr and get something to help him quit, or OTC products..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:12 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• the first, but he tried quitting a couple weeks ago and started back again after 4 days.

he just informed me that when we try for the next baby he will quit and also not smoke while i am pregnant. thats a start. but he also doesnt want to try for a baby until i lose some weight. ugh.
    HKittyCrzy

Comment by HKittyCrzy (original poster) at 11:14 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• What about something like the E-cigarettes.. Feels like smoking and some do have nicotine but they don't have any other harmful chemicals, they don't smell or have a flame..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:17 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• he had those for awhile but he said they are a pain to refill and can get expensive.
    HKittyCrzy

Comment by HKittyCrzy (original poster) at 11:18 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• You know how hard it is to lose weight? It's a thousand times harder to quit, and while I completely understand your frustration, be patient with him because you can't make him quit, and you don't want to make him leave!
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 11:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

Comment by HKittyCrzy (original poster) 37 minutes ago

Credits: 76 Level 5 .

When he holds his child, give him a cover to put over his shoulder.

The more you complain, the more he will smoke----I am a smoker ♥♥♥♥♥
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 11:51 PM on Jun. 22, 2011