Has anyone else had this crazy test?

with my first child i had a blood test done at 17wks to see if anything would be wrong with him.. It came back positive for down syndrome:( Hes one now and perfectly happy and healthy and the smartest little boy ive ever seen. The test was wrong.
This happen to anyone else?

luvmy2kids91

Asked by luvmy2kids91 at 10:56 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Health

• I declined any kind of testing. Blood tests are not accurate, and the amnio testing can cause miscarriage in some cases. We weren't going to change our minds so why take the risk.
    MorganTho

Answer by MorganTho at 10:58 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• 17wks?
    At my OB and from what I was reading online the blood test & ultrasound is supposed to be done before 13weeks 6days. I just had mine done at 13weeks and am waiting for the results.
    aruhl

Answer by aruhl at 11:01 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• No but i did want to get checked for 'potters syndrome' my mothers first child died of it. I think its when theres no aminiotic fluid (spelling??) in the uterus
    YerMami24

Answer by YerMami24 at 11:01 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• oh thats sad ive heard of it but never knew it actually happened:(
    luvmy2kids91

Comment by luvmy2kids91 (original poster) at 11:02 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I refused all those test as well. Wouldn't have made a difference. My cousin was told her ds had no kidneys, his brain was mush and she should terminate. He is a very healthy 3 year old.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 11:02 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Sounds like a quad screening (the AFP is the one that happens a little earlier, I think)

Famously inaccurate, especially for older women like me. So I refused it. Why worry for 20 weeks when chances are it's a false negative?

Sorry you had to go through all that worry, but I'm glad your son is fine!
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 11:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I refused those tests, I didn't need any added stress just for the test to be wrong.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 11:04 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• well im pregnant with my second and i will NOT do it again... And yes they advised me to terminate since i was so young they said i wouldnt be able to handle it.. i switched doctors...
    luvmy2kids91

Comment by luvmy2kids91 (original poster) at 11:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I refused those tests as well.. her having down syndrome wouldn't have changed my mind about having her and thats what the dr said.. if you wouldn't terminate the pregnancy because of it. you really don't need to know ..plus they said it wasn't 100 % accurate.. so I said.. No thanks
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 11:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• nope
    taratennant60

Answer by taratennant60 at 7:42 AM on Jun. 23, 2011