Now what?

Ok, sd is 18, she moved out and didn't speak to us for months. She put us through hell, and told many lies about us. She dropped off a card for her dad on fathers day, left it on the porch. He texted her and said thanks, your card made me happy and sad at the same time. She just said your welcome, that's it. Now what? She really really hurt him. Didn't even say sorry in the card. I wish she would just move the hell away from us all. I don't even want to share a town with her. GRRRR

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• I'm sorry you have to be in such a situation, I'm sure its hard watching the man you love get so hurt by his own child. And its hard to have sympathy for someone who keep shooting themselves in the foot so to speak. Hopefully soon she grows up and gives you both a much needed apology
    DianeMary

Answer by DianeMary at 6:50 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Sometimes you have to let them go for awhile. She will come back around. In the mean time just try to realize we can't begin to understand what others are going through. She is young. She could be dealing with alot of pain and problems. Even though they don't deserve it, they still need love. Atleast she dropped off a card. That is more than alot of kids do. Be glad she did that. Things will work themselves out.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 11:06 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I am a stepmother of a 17 yr old stepson. He didn't give his dad a card. He did call him. Try not to be too hurt. I know it is hard but she is still very young. I know as a wife and stepmom it is very difficult to see these kids hurt our husbands.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 10:28 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Thanks, it's hard cuz she wouldn't have even done that if it wasn't for my MIL and I don't care about the problems she is going through any more. She just keeps doing the same crap over and over again and whining about how bad her life sucks, she won't do anything to make it better! We are forcing her to grow up by not letting her use us or play her games anymore. Even if she grew up and became a great person, I don't want anything to do with her.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:21 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I know that this is hard for you, but maybe giving you the point of view from the evil step-child's perspective might help a little.... at least that was what I was at the time... I was told a lot of lies when it came to my father, and I had also experienced some things that I wasn't sure who the culprit was because I had blocked that out of my mind... I called my father and told him that I thought that it might have been him who had hurt me, because of everything that I had been told, it seemed logical... at the time. Anyways, my stepmom was in the same kind of boat that you are in... watching her husband hurt and unable to do anything about it... I however am very grateful at how gracious that she was to me, because despite everything, she still was courteous to me, even if she didn't trust or like me at first. I have since then have rekindled my relationship with her and my father, and am very grateful for that..... I guess
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 11:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• what I am saying is this: I don't know what she has said, but as hard as it is for you to watch him hurt.... maybe if you give her time, you can bring your husband joy by supporting him if he so chooses to continue to try and reach out to her.... but if you don't choose to at least be cordial to her for his sake, you could make him feel like he is having to choose between you and her.... I can tell you this, that even though all that happened, my stepmom and I are now friends, as well as the fact that I am able to have a good relationship with my father. I wish you the best of luck with this, and I understand how angry you must be... I hope it all works out for you.....
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 11:42 PM on Jul. 2, 2011