Anyone else have this happen?

When I went to my first appointment for this pregnancy I ended up getting a little offended. I was told I could NOT gain any more than 20 lbs....I am not overweight by any means and I thought normal weight gain for someone of average weight was between 25-35 lbs? Now I am basically right at average weight for my height, after having 1 baby. My daughter is only 8 months old so I still have 20lbs from her on. I was under weight when I got pregnant with her so I gained about 50 lbs and lost 30 of it. I thought they might take that into consideration since it is the same doc office I went to with my other pregnancy? On top of that the month before I got pregnant with my daughter I had a miscarriage @ 12 weeks (I gained 10lbs that pregnancy). I just don't understand why they didn't take all of this into consideration when telling me how much weight I could gain. I felt very offended by them putting emphasis on saying that I cannot gain more than 20 lbs, it made me feel like I am fat (which is not the case, while I am not underweight anymore, I am also not fat). Has anyone else run into this?

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 11:04 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Pregnancy

• That's all a load of crap! I'm doing the Bradley diet. There is NO such thin as an ideal weight gain. Follow the diet n u will have a healthy pregnancy. If someone was overweigt before prego n follow the Bradley diet, they will b eating healthier that before da baby.
    Seriously, look up the Bradley diet and read his research!!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 11:21 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I was also told to keep my weight gain at about 20 pounds and I was glad I did. I wouldn't be offended. They are only looking out for your health and well-being. I think your pregnancy and childbirth will be so much easier if you don't gain a lot of weight. And there will be less to lose after you have your baby! I was wearing my regular clothes about 2 weeks after I had my kids.
    Good luck!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:10 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• it does affect the pregnancy sometimes, in my case, i had mc because my weight is 240 and my ob told me with that and my history of insulin problems was what caused it.
    cataquiroz24

Answer by cataquiroz24 at 11:06 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I get that...and I don't want to gain more than 20 lbs...but I am over 5"8 and I barely weigh 150 (which is average) I should be allowed to gain between 25-35 lbs...or so I thought...when I was only 120 I was told I had to gain at least 40 lbs....it just made me feel like they were calling me overweight when I am not overweight and I have no health issues.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 11:12 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I would encourage you find a Good Care Provider.

Even if you WERE "fat" AND diabetic, gaining X pounds doesn't mean a problem.
    I have a lot of advice about how to talk with your care provider to not get bullied, but in general~ overall; why even go there??
    Why are you using this one?

That's not looking out for your health and safety.
    Sounds like control issues, God Complex, management.
    Maybe someone trained under the medical-model?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:35 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I got to this one because my husband is activity duty military and it is the only option I really have...but I have requested a different doctor for my next appointment...and the person that told me this isn't a doctor, not even a nurse in fact....she is an 18 yr old medical technician. I love the AF but sometimes things like that make me angry...I just didn't say anything (I also am medical technician, but will much more experience) and I would never word something like the way she did to a patient....(even if I patient shouldn't gain more than x number of lbs, she was very rude about it).
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 8:42 AM on Jun. 23, 2011