How long does it take to get food poisoning?

We ordered pizza last night, and I got mushrooms on my half. This morning, I woke up in so much abdominal pain that I staggered to the bathroom. I spent all morning in and out of the bathroom, feeling like I was gonna hurl... and when I finally did, the only thing in my stomach was mushrooms. So I called the Pizza Hut we ordered from, and the manager said "Well, I'll check my product, but just so you know, it takes 72 hours to get food poisoning... so you probably got sick from something you ate a few days ago." I'm almost positive that isn't true.

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 3:02 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Food & Drink

• You are correct. It's pretty quick, because it's in your belly, not waiting for the entire digestive process. In 2 days you'd feel better.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 3:03 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• the same thing happened to my husband with pizza hut. if they left any veggies or cheese sitting out it only take 20 minutes for bacteria to begin to grow. anything cold MUST be under 40 degrees and anything cooked MUST be hotter than 140 degrees. anything in the middle is BAD NEWS. especially if you are pregnant!
    and remember it could take days to digest meat or dairy so if you ate something bad you may feel not so great for a couple days
    learae

Answer by learae at 4:57 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• He isn't totally wrong. It can take anywhere from 2 to 72 hours depending on the bacteria. You might consider turning him into the health department. Any manager is supposed to have safe food handler training and should know that. The above poster is wrong though. If something has been cooked to the proper temperature it can sit out safely for 4 hours at room temperature. It is unlikely that the pizza was a problem. I have my safe food handler certification and I own a restaurant. I know this stuff.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 5:16 PM on Dec. 13, 2008