How long does it take to get food poisoning?

We ordered pizza last night, and I got mushrooms on my half. This morning, I woke up in so much abdominal pain that I staggered to the bathroom. I spent all morning in and out of the bathroom, feeling like I was gonna hurl... and when I finally did, the only thing in my stomach was mushrooms. So I called the Pizza Hut we ordered from, and the manager said "Well, I'll check my product, but just so you know, it takes 72 hours to get food poisoning... so you probably got sick from something you ate a few days ago." I'm almost positive that isn't true.

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 3:03 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Health

• I thought it happened almost immediatley, within hours. I think he's just trying to cover his butt.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 3:06 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• It can happen fast. It doesn't take 72 hours. It can, but it doesn't always.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 3:04 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• The symptoms can show up as soon as right after you eat...depending on what you ate. But usually they show up 12-24 hours after you ingest the food =] The latest is probably 72 hours.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:05 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• My hubby has had it twice and it is within 3-4 hours that he had it. we knew both times where it came from. Once the armadillo and the other time was santiagos.
    bubblebean

Answer by bubblebean at 3:06 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• And also, he was throwing up and pooping for atleast 12 hours.
    bubblebean

Answer by bubblebean at 3:07 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• That's not true...
    Anonymous

• The Pizza Hut manager is lying. Depending on the severity and your body, you can be sick even an HOUR later, but the next day (especially in the morning after the dinner was the culprit) IS the most common.
    He's lying. Call back and tell him your DOCTOR begs to differ (yes, I know you didn't see a doctor, but he won't want it to sound like he's really trying to fight you over it).
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 4:35 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Food poisoning happens within hours. It you get ingest something that can infact give you food poisoning, you will see signs with a hour. Not 24 or 72, yet 15 mins to a hour.

It may infact have been the pizza that could of upset your stomach, yet more than likely it was not food poisoning. That manager is dead wrong, even in food handlers class they will teach you it takes matter of minutes to develop food poisoning.
    SoulSymphony

Answer by SoulSymphony at 4:56 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• http://www.emedicinehealth.com/food_poisoning/page3_em.htm

theres a good site....it depends...it could be hours to days
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 5:48 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• They're WRONG!! Ok, think about it, who's going to say "you're right, you're sick because of the mushrooms?" Its bad on their business. I ate a hamburger the other day from my job and puked it up 6 hours later. It had been sitting in my stomach that long. Yes, it most likely is the food and how you can tell is if its been sitting there for more than a few hours and throw it up.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 6:17 PM on Dec. 13, 2008