I have to vent....

My son was hit by a car tonight while riding a bike. It was raining and the driver did not see him in time... note that I do not blame the drive and have asked the police to notify her that although cut and bruised and sore he is going to be ok. But it got me thinking how often do we tell our kids we love them and the answer for us all is never enough my 12 yr old could have been killed today and I THANK GOD that he protected him. It is late so don't wake your kids but if you can give them a kiss... and first thing in the morning tell them you love them. I know I will be.

Mommy_Aiken

Asked by Mommy_Aiken at 11:34 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• OMG... a mothers second, third worst fear.. I am SO sorry and brought goose bumps to my whole body reading this.. I actually take those words from parents and hold them dear to my heart, " I only turned away for a second" will never be anything i utter because of my over bearing cautiousness- and so many others I can't even think of now reading your story Mama but I do always and forever tell my son I love him all day everyday even when, at 3-1/2 he says OK MOM, I KNOW!!!! to me, I say Good, but I love you from head to toe even more now and run away silly so we make it fun.. ahh.. hugs and sending love to you, your son and family.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:39 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I'm glad your son is okay, so scary.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 11:43 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Im so sorry that happened tonight but i am so happy he is ok besides the hurt and bruises. Anything can happen in a blink of an eye and thats scary. I always tell my kids I love them no matter what..my dd always says she loves me this much as she stretched her arms out to the side of her and i do the same and my son says i love you too mommy...HUGS to you and your son and family
    mamaevans2

Answer by mamaevans2 at 11:45 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• i tell my kids i love them all day! im sorry that happened to your family today.
    julie.f

Answer by julie.f at 11:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I AM SO SORRY THIS HAPPENED TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY ,AND I PRAY THAT HE WILL BE OKAY ,AND THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING THIS B/C WE ARE NOT PROMISED TOMORROW , SO IT IS IMPOTENT TO SAY WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND B/C YOU DON'T KNOW WHEN IT IS YOUR TIME.AND GOOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY
    vgaines

Answer by vgaines at 3:06 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I'm sorry something so scary brought you up short to mindful presence (which is a gift.) This is reality, "now" is what we have, always in each moment. Remembering it however & whenever we can is a gift.

Such an experience can also help us (re)experience our unconditionality, like it was when our babies were newborns & we knew they were wonderful & precious simply because they existed. The realization that we CAN lose them (re)connects us to the experience of loving them just because they are. All too soon, we tend to focus on doing rather than being, on achievement (behavior, performance) rather than existence.

I am so glad that your son is okay, and I thank you for sharing your frightful & meaningful experience.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 8:02 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I say it a hundred times a day! I am the kind of person who tries very hard to be thankful for the little things in this life. I am glad your child is ok.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:45 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Tomorrow is never promised to us only today at the present moment. I am glad that he is alright. I love my kids so much and show them and tell them everyday!
    katie201005

Answer by katie201005 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 23, 2011