So I was logging on my computer and this story pops up. What's your thoughts?

http://www.charter.net/news/read.php?rip_id=%3CD9O16DOG0%40news.ap.org%3E&ps=1011

You know it has gotten bad when people start robbing banks to get free health care.

luvmygrlz

Asked by luvmygrlz at 11:38 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Where are people getting the idea that he was a veteran? It said that he worked for Coca-cola. I haven't seen any stories that said he was a veteran."

Yahoo, AP, his lawyer..

Attorney Michael Neece said Wednesday that 59-year-old James Verone was a good law-abiding citizen before robbing the bank. But he said Verone, who has serious health issues, had nowhere to turn because he was unemployed. "This is a man who is a veteran, a man who had worked his whole life for the American dream," Neece told the Associated Press.

Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 4:56 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• i think this guy is stupid and there is probably something wrong with him in the head for him to rob a bank for health care. no sane person thinks like that. this does not make our health care system look bad, or show that there is something wrong with it. if he was a vet he could have gone to a VA hospital, he could have gone to any hospital really. they cant turn you down for emergency care. or he could gotten on medicaid.... this guy is just stupid/lazy.
    julie.f

Answer by julie.f at 11:45 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• At first i maybe had a little sympathy, but after reading about it, it's BS. For one, the guy is a veteran. There are several VA healthcare centers within a 50 mile radius of him. And they even go by your income on whether or not you will have a copay. He had easy access to healthcare for little cost. Then there is this quote...condo before health i guess.

Getting less attention is this passage in the report from WCNC-TV in Charlotte:

"He is hoping for a three-year sentence. He would then be able to collect Social Security when he got out and said he would head for the beach. 'I've already looked at a condominium. I've spoken to a realtor on Myrtle Beach,' Verone said."

As Verone also tells WCNC, "I'm sort of a logical person."

Just someone trying to scam the system. I hope he serves no time, because thats what he wants.
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 11:58 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• thats when you know it's bad...
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 11:59 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Stupid or very smart?

He will have a bed, food, education, Health care all for free!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:01 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Where are people getting the idea that he was a veteran? It said that he worked for Coca-cola. I haven't seen any stories that said he was a veteran.

Follow-up story from his area indicated that the country is now passing out information about the many different medical and welfare options their municipality offer. Their comment was that no one in their county needs to go to jail to get health care and that this guy didn't need to either. He just needed to come fill out the forms.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:06 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• He sounds like just another uneducated citizen waiting for someone to take care of him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• . That shows how pathetic the country is and how stingy and selfish most people in the USA are.

Answer by minnesotanice an hour ago
    ...........................................................................................................
    Do you give half of your pay check to the poor or your church?

I think NOT! you just want some else to pay? You are like the rest of the liberals! "Not me" I don't have the money to give,but you do, so you should be made to give!! By the way that is called stealing!!

gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:55 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I don't find it surprising. I've read stories of people doing it for food and shelter. It is pretty bad when people
    decide they would be better off in jail being "taken care of" by the government.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:12 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• yes...it does show that the USA is messed up. Other countries have universal health care...but we don't. This guy knew it was the only way to get medical care. That shows how pathetic the country is and how stingy and selfish most people in the USA are. No concerns for humanity.Its all about the money---nobody wants to care for others. They want to keep their cash,cheapskates.
    If all it takes is a little more tax per person to help others, why not?
    Oh yeah,I know. It makes me sound like a Socialist. Yay me.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:13 AM on Jun. 23, 2011