My 10 month old cries like crazy when i put him to sleep

I moved my son in his room when he was 4 months old. Never had any problems. I would just put him in his crib and walk out of the room. Sometime he would sleep right away and sometimes after a little playing or whining. Its right next to our room so im comfortable too. But since past 4 days he cries, correction... Screams as soon as i put him in his crib. The first time i was horrified and picked him up instantly. After many mins of rocking and hugging he finally went to sleep. And that too after putting him in his crib and him screaming again and me instantly picking him up again. But now he does it every night. Where am i going wrong? He's healthy, eating fine, taking naps.... Whats the problem then? He just wants me to pick him up and hold him. I cant do that every night. And he literally starts screaming if i dont. Please help!!

cookie269

Asked by cookie269 at 11:45 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Does he have a bedtime routine? Try putting in some extra cuddle time before bed and see if it helps. He also is at the stage where he knows how to manipulate so if you rush in every time he will keep doing it to extend his time awake. Give him a few minutes to himself and see what happens. My 10 mo old does that sometimes. She'll cry for under a minute and sleep peacefully. Another possibility is that he isn't feeling well (teething, gas) and it gets worse w/o your comforting him. Try to rule out discomfort issues.
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 11:55 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I will bugfin.
    And miss anonymous. I dont put my baby on another floor. His room is right next to mine. Regardless of the monitor i can hear him even without it. Till the time he cries i hold him and rock him back and fourth. I feed him on time with freshly cooked homemade food everyday. Play with him, read to him, get his shots on time ( u have no ida how many parents overlook that important factor), change my entire schedule when he's cranky so i can get home to stay with him instead of going on a girls night with my friends (and i leave him with his dad, not a babysitter). So if i have given him his room entirely done by me, (something which i never had as a child because my parents couldn't afford it and i so used to long for it) ..... THAT DOES NOT MAKE ME A BAD PARENT. If u cannot give good advice here, please do not be judgemental. And it's easy being critical while being Anon, atleast show your profile when insulting.
    cookie269

Comment by cookie269 (original poster) at 10:23 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• you know all of this except anon is helpful advice, but just to be sure, you may want to check the mattress and just see if there is something sticking him when he lays down. Not likely, I know, but it's something easy to check. Also Wal Mart makes a mobile/projector that plays music/heartbeat/nature sounds. Take off the mobile part and when you put him to bed, he sees projections of jungle animals on his ceiling... the music (if you want) goes for twenty minutes... typical time for babies to get drowsy... (it also has a remote!)
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 3:25 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• To be honest, it sounds like it could be a little seperation anxiety. My DS went through this at 9 months and we had to pat him till he fell asleep. I did the same thing, of picking him up but it was getting ridiculous! Finally I would pat/rub his back and then he would go to sleep. After a few days of doing this he finally didn't need me doing it anymore. Good luck! I know how discouraging it can be!

Yea and anon...I don't really get the smart attitude either? It's called bedtime? lol. They are allowed to sleep in their crib....
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 4:51 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• One last thing cookie, we DID NOT pick him up unless we felt like he was crying too much. 99% of the time he calmed down and fell asleep with the patting...I think he just needed to know we we there :)
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 4:52 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• My daughter is almost 10.5 months old. She has been teething pretty bad so we have had to console her quite a bit. Poor thing. Anyhow, over this past week when we put her down in her crib for bedtime she starts screaming and crying horribly to the point where she makes herself vomit fairly quickly. After her vomitting she is fine though. We are hoping to move up her last feeding and than sleep train her all over again... I feel your pain. I also think my daughter is going through some separation anxiety.

P.S. Just ignore the anonymous response...
    yoyita7

Answer by yoyita7 at 4:36 PM on Jul. 20, 2011

• So you put a little baby in a room alone while you cuddle up warm and cozy with another person. I see why he cries
    Anonymous