Pizza delivery charge? (not a life changing question)

So it's been a long time since I have had pizza delivered, usually I just go pick it up while I am out. Anyway, I saw that I was getting charged $2.75 for a delivery charge (the pizza place is 2 min away, my dd was just asleep so I didn't want to wake her up to go get it). So when the guy dropped it off, I assumed that the $2.75 was like an obligatory tip, so I added $1 and some odd changed (whatever finished off the dollar amount for the pizza, I think it was like .32) to the "tip" spot. Anyway, I get my pizza inside and see that on the box it is printed, "please tip drivers to excellent service, deliver charge is not a tip". So, I asked a friend who used to deliver pizza, quite a couple months ago and she said that the place I ordered from pays drives $3.50 an hour. So what exactly is the delivery charge for? Sorry, this just bothered me, it shouldn't I know, but it did. I put "not a life changing question' in the title because it seems some people on here get upset if they open your question to find it is not about a life changing event lol

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 11:51 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Money & Work

• I hate when businesses don't pay their workers enough per hour and make them rely on tips as income! They should at least make minimum wage - tips should just be bonus money for their good service. Grrr!
    Pollymom

Answer by Pollymom at 12:39 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Good question, what about this one
    I went to Wendys today ( fast food ) and ordered a BLT Cobb salad, you have the option of full size for $5.99 or half size for $4.79.. so I wasn't all that hungry and knew I couldn't eat a full size anything today ( being fat and saying that BTW) and realized, wait, if it is HALF the size, how is it not HALF the cost.. it really bothered me today
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:55 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I know right??? thats like leaving a tip at a restaurant. We're expected to pay the waitresses wage instead of the employer. It's total BS. I have no problem tipping but it's like you're a cheap a** if you don't leave a tip even if the service is terrible. Does the delivery charge pay for the gas or something? Maybe they get reimbursed mileage?
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 11:56 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• They have to take out extra insurance so if anything happens on your property or if they get into auto accident (most insurance companies don't cover if you have an accident on the job in your personal verhicle. They expect you to get commercial insurance which a delivery driver can not afford) . It also covers what they give the driver per delivery which the driver does not get all you are charged. So tip the driver thier job is rated in the top 5 of most dangerous jobs.
    Anonymous

• The delivery charge helps pay their hourly wage and the tip is a bonus.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 12:12 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• They don't get reimbursed anything from what my friend says. I honestly feel bad for not giving him much, anon, I just thought that the person who did the delivering got the delivery charge lol. Oh, and at least this place, they only get $3.50 an hour, nothing per house unless they are tipped so the entire $2.75 per house (which doesn't sound like a lot but if they go to 25 houses a night, that's close to $70 a night for one driver.
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 12:13 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• When I was a delivery driver, tip money = gas money.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 12:52 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I agree with PP.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I believe that they MUST get paid at least your state minimum wage. Here State minimum wage is $7.35 per hour.

15% tip should suffice.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 12:53 AM on Jun. 23, 2011