Thank a soldier/military person

how many people who critisize soldiers or look down on them actually personally know someone who serves? i know before i met my husband i didnt know anything about military life. but i just feel like people are so quick to judge but they dont think about who they are. you hear on TV that 5 soldiers were killed in iraq last week but do we ever take the time to learn their names or even read how it happened? remember these men and women are going to war, dying, being permanantly disfigured and at the VERY LEAST coming home with major physcological issues for YOU and the life you live!

you dont have to support the war but support the troops and their families.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Love you for saying this! My husband and I both serve, and both have family members that serve as well. Back home everyone stops and thanks men and women in uniform...but unfortunately we are in California and we usually see the opposite....in fact we see military protesters right outside of our base all the time!
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 12:22 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• thank you Hayden Allen for being a courageous man who almost lost his life x numbers of times and almost lost his sight. Also who is the world's best father. Thanks Jason Aaden for saving his american behind. I have to thank myself too for bandaging the troops' wounds and saving their lives. Also all the soldiers in our base, who have served and those who died. All thank you :)
    marinebrats

Answer by marinebrats at 12:28 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• AMEN!!! I'm so sick of ignorant people thinking these soldiers enjoy putting thier lives in danger and losing thier friends or family or coming home different from when they left us. Also thank the significant others, parents, children, sisters and brothers!! Thank you all.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 12:47 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I am of vietnamese decent and I agree with you 100%. I owe everything to US soldiers.
    TeeNYtiNYaZian

Answer by TeeNYtiNYaZian at 12:52 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I agree with you. I hated what Starbucks did to our troops a couple of years ago, not giving them free coffee because "they don't support the war". Well, we don't like the war either, but we support the brave men and women who put their lives on the line for us. Besides, for every soldier that goes to war, there is a family that pays for it too. Their lives are affected by the absence of their loved one.

a big THANK YOU to our troops and their families.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 1:05 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• My grandfather, father, 2 uncles, 2 first cousins, countless 2nd-3rd cousins and my husband have all served this country. I am reminded every day what a phsycological toll is taken on some soldiers. I am thankful for the sacrfices they make, I live in a patriotic city/state.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:22 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I'm retired military and my son is AF. Served 2 tours in Iraq so far. Just wanted to comment on the Starbucks post that they didn't support the troops. In our community every Starbucks collected Cafe Vias and sent tons to the troops. My son said they had a Starbucks on his base over their, so I'm confused about that one. Thanks to ALL our soldiers' past & present!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:26 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I have been in for 15 years. My husband has been in 17. We are both proud of what we do. While you may not agree with us being in these other countries....it is preventing them from coming to our soil again. September 11th should have been a huge wake up call to America. Instead people were all amped up for a little while...but they seem to have forgotten. Terrorism is alive and well and it is up to us to defend our country against it. The size of our military is constantly being cut and we are doing more with less. People are deploying more often and seeing some seriously harsh stuff. They don't do it because they have to....we sign the dotted line because we wanted to. I feel a sense of pride every single time I put on my uniform.

No it isn't glamorous. I don't see that it was ever meant to be glamorous. It is war and war is not good times. So yes... Thank the next military member you see.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 7:51 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• And Lizzee - This is a completely different war than many vets served in....it is a different time. This threat is not going away. It is not the same sort of war that past generations fought and many just don't get it.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 7:52 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I agree with Shaken. I'm a Vet and I'm a military spouse. My dh has been serving on Active Duty 21 yrs (well - 21 yrs in like 2 weeks). I've been either Active Duty or a military spouse for the same amount of time. My ds is leaving for boot camp in the fall, and my brother is in the Army. The wars that we're fighting now are even different than the wars that were being fought in the First Gulf War, and they are different than what my family fought in Vietnam and Korea.

We can be critical of policy, and of politicians - that's our right as citizens. But, unless you have btdt for that specific war, in that specific theater of operation, and honestly, even in that specific time-frame, we really don't know, and shouldn't be judgmental towards those who are the ones currently fighting. The military members don't make policy, they just bleed and die for it....
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:08 AM on Jun. 23, 2011