Chicken Pox?! ADVICE PLZ!

My daughter just had the chicken pox shot 10 days ago, for the last 3 days she has ran a 103 fever. Today i noticed small spots on her stomach. could this ne the chicken pox? I guess they say some will get it from the vaccination? Any with advice?? Thanks!!

CaityMarie

Asked by CaityMarie at 3:10 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Sounds like she could have contracted chicken pox from the vaccination.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 3:12 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Sounds like. She'll be fine. If it spreads beyond her tummy, call the doctor. Also, let the doctor know that she did come down with a (hopefully) mild case just so he can note it and report it as he is supposed to do.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:57 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Actually, they can get a mild case of chicken pox up to one year after being given the vaccination. I also recommend that you contact the pediatrician.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 6:47 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Definitely contact your pediatrician! Make sure it's not something wrong with the batch she received, your doctor needs to contact the vaccine maker and file a report!!
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 8:19 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• No vaccine is 100% and with this vaccine there is always the risk of contracting a milder form(milder to who, not sure. You never know how bad your child would have gotten it anyway). There was nothing wrong with the batch.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:06 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Sounds to me like she got it from the shot. It's a live virus vaccine. Shows you how good vaccines are, eh? Calm down Mama. I had the chicken pox and I lived. ;) www.thinktwice.com
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 7:10 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Also, you want to report this to VAERS. It's a vaccine reaction. If more people actually reported vaccine reactions, we would know the whole story behind how many children are neg. impacted by vaccines every year. Go here: http://vaers.hhs.gov/

http://www.medalerts.org/vaersdb/stats.html The VAERS data summary. The FDA states that only 10% of vaccine injuries ever get reported. Here is that 10%. So what is the REAL number? Vaccine injuries aren't rare, just rarely reported.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 7:12 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

I nicely disagree that none of us would know this other than the makers of the vaccine -- which is why it needs to be reported.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 8:29 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I nicely disagree that none of us would know this other than the makers of the vaccine -- which is why it needs to be reported.

It should be reported to show how ineffective vaccines really are but I digress.

Disagree all you want, it's listed on the insert as a possible side effect. From the CDC's web site- While no vaccine is 100% effective in preventing disease, the chickenpox vaccine is very effective: about 8 to 9 of every 10 people who are vaccinated are completely protected from chickenpox. If a vaccinated person does get chickenpox, it is usually a very mild case lasting only a few days and involving fewer skin lesions (usually less than 50), mild or no fever, and few other symptoms.

Link: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/varicella/default.htm

Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:30 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I would advise my Dr. that this has happened, but as far as going nuts if she's "got the pox" it isn't any big deal...I never heard of anyone dying from the pox. In fact, since I came from a large family (pre-pox vaccine) if anyone of the kids/grandkids got them...it was party time. We'd just get everyone who hadn't had them, infect everyone at once and then help each other take care of the kids. It isn't life or death if your kid got the chicken pox. But, you may still want to contact the Dr. so they can document it though and maybe give you some advice on the high fever. High fever does go along with the chicken pox.
    Anonymous