Ok Mamas...We are looking to get a dog and are wondering what the best breed or breeds are for young kids?

Pets

CarsonKendall

Asked by CarsonKendall at 1:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Pets

• i would recommend a golden retriever.. i have one, and he is the best dog.. he is so gentle, yet protective of my boys..
    nana

Answer by nana at 1:09 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• If you're looking for a small breed, a shih-tzu is great. They don't shed the hair at all. They remain about 12 lbs., and they are great with kids.
    WifeyandMom71

Answer by WifeyandMom71 at 1:14 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I did a lot of research on this and we are getting a puggle in a couple months... they are not too big, learn easily, love to cuddle but also have enough energy to play with kids. I have also seen and heard good things about Golden Retrievers (my grandparents had one)
    QueenB2411

Answer by QueenB2411 at 1:15 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I would suggest checking out this website. It has temperment statistics on almost any breed you can think of. We have a pit bull and an american bulldog and they both rank near the top. I trust them both 110%. http://www.atts.org/statistics.html
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:15 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My boxer is amazing with my 4 month old son. She protects him...but knows how to be very gentle with him. She even thought he was her baby when we brought him home. BOxers are extremely smart and loyal dogs. I recommend them
    jlr89a

Answer by jlr89a at 1:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My aunt and uncle have a collie and she is WONDERFUL with kids...my son and nieces and nephews are ages 1-9 and they just love playing with her. Maddie (the dog) is 2 and she's never once nipped, growled or barked at any of the kids.
    dsmuhmuh

Answer by dsmuhmuh at 1:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I got half my nose riped off by a retrever i could never trust them again. If you don't mind smaller dogs (around 20 or so pounds) i realy like the Basenji. They CAN NOT BARK! they do make some realy cute sounds though. that poor dog i TORTURED it pulled ears chased it and it NEVER was agresive with me AT ALL!
    gypsy_rose

Answer by gypsy_rose at 1:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I would suggest to TRAIN your kids on how to respect animals 1st... NO tail pulling, no ear pulling, etc... Always ASK the owners before you pet a strange dog. It is in NOT doing this that ANY child can and will get bit etc.... but any animal.
    annamuagreno

Answer by annamuagreno at 1:18 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

gypsy_rose

Answer by gypsy_rose at 1:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My English Mastiff is the best. Although he is huge, slobbery, has gas that could choke a horse, the potential to have high vet bills, needy of love, can chew through a lead pipe, snores loud enough to wake the children in the dead of night, sheds, he has HEART that outweighs all of it. He Loves my kids and me to death!!!! Whatever you do get a puppy and raise it with your kids. You never really know the history of an adult dog unless you go through a reputable rescue group (which there is one for almost every breed). They will not place a dog with you without confirming its history and temperment. I'd almost like to see someone try to get at me or my kids. I'll never have another kind of dog. They are know for their ability to assess and judge people and situations and if they don't react well to someone there is a reason. They don't need a lot of room, just their own couch to lay on and your company.
    sheahan97

Answer by sheahan97 at 2:09 PM on Jun. 19, 2008