What did you do with your child so far in summer?

I feel it is clearly not enough time to do everything i want with my daughter. To brag a bit...my daughter went to gymnastics camp, visited dentist, had a great play date, went to science and children museum, safary, visited mad science presentation and this week going to every day swimming class.She also improved a bit her math and read every day so far. This week i managed to cook lunch with her. My hubby told that this is crazy in a good way.

How is your summer going? What special activities you do?

ganna04

Asked by ganna04 at 2:09 AM on Jun. 23, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Today was the first day of summer vacation for my kids. They played with their friends outside, watched TV, played with their DSs. That's it. And that's the plan for every other day of the summer.
    No camps or activities. Just long days playing with their friends outside until it gets too dark to see.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:24 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• So far nothing but swimming in the pool and some bike riding. We had planned a huge trip for the kids but as usual our money had to go toward other important things. I'm going to have a really nice fourth of july cookout though, some fireworks, maybe attend the local fair later.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 2:25 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Swimming and playdates
    BitsMom00

Answer by BitsMom00 at 2:43 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• We try to stick with the routine of getting outdoors almost everyday even if it is for a short walk. My kids enjoy going to the park, shopping malls (for the food!), museums, the zoo, the pool, and I have them finally go with me when running errands. Is going to be a fun summer!
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 5:05 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• We have gone to the beach, ripley's aquarium, Wonderworks in Myrtle beach(its awesome), shopping, swimming, and we've cooked some things.
    dixiegurl223626

Answer by dixiegurl223626 at 12:28 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Get to the park, beach, etc.
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 3:06 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• She is in gymnastics camp 2 days a week. We have been to movies, spent the afternoon in the pool a couple of times. We've been to the zoo, the museum, and today we went to lunch with one of her friends, then to the park to play in the fountain. I wanted to be sure she had a good summer because she is used to being home with me, and this will be the last few months before school.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 5:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• It does sound a bit crazy! I'm sure she's having fun, and you must be too, or you wouldn't "brag a bit". But do schedule some "down time" this summer, too. Let her have a few days of nothing, to let her rest, relax, and maybe use her imagination.

So far this summer, I've taken my granddaughter to the Air Zoo (airplane museum with fun rides, too), the Nature Center, a Princess camp (dance class at YMCA), swimming at the pool, the beach, multiple trips to the park to play on the playground, and over to visit friends. But she has also played in her backyard, and in her playroom. She has a daily nap. We read three or more library books a day as we snuggle on the bed together. She has a few chores - feeds her dog, walks it (with help), picks up her bedroom, makes her bed, and brushes her teeth.

I firmly believe that children need large blocks of free, unscheduled time or they risk feeling stressed out. It also builds creativity
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 10:01 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• LoreleiSieja, thanks, this is a very good point, so far she did not have much free time, and she probably needs it more than anything else.
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 6:11 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• We like to relax during the summer. We are taking a break from all activities -- scouts and karate.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:44 AM on Jun. 24, 2011